We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New york city hidden gems

Israel
Level Contributor
580 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
New york city hidden gems

I'm looking for some special places to visit while in NYC.

Which are the most amazing places to visit in New york ?

Thanks

New York, New York
Level Contributor
7,857 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New york city hidden gems

I'm borrowing from the Must See's and Must Do's page. These are some of the most amazing places to see in NYC, imo.

"Smaller" museums. The less famous cultural institutions are among the City's best kept secrets. Spend an hour or two at the Frick Collection, Morgan Library, Cooper-Hewitt Museum, or the Forbes Collection (the kids will love the best ongoing display of toy soldiers and boats ever designed). Shutterbugs will be divinely happy at the International Center for Photography. Or try a museum that focuses on the history, art and culture of a particular nation, ethnic group or art movement, such as the Asia Society, the Jewish Museum, the Neue Galerie, the National Museum of the American Indian, the Rubin Museum (housing the art of the Himalayas), the Studio Museum of Harlem, the Museum of Jewish Heritage - A Living Memorial to the Holocaust, or El Museo del Barrio. Live in the footsteps of our nation's defenders exploring the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space museum. Or be completely "New York City-centric" and visit the New York Historical Society, the Museum of The City of New York, the New York City Tenement Museum on the Lower East Side, the Fraunces Tavern Museum, the New York City Fire Museum, the New York City Police Museum, the New York City Transit Museum (based in Brooklyn), and finish off with a tour sponsored by the Municipal Art Society.

I also love the Brooklyn Botanical Garden. It is one of the most beautiful and peaceful places in all of NYC, imo. I especially like the large carp pond in the Japanese garden. One of the best scents in the world is that of the orange blossom, which I found in the "Warm Temperate Pavilion" there at BBG:

bbg.org/discover/…

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New york city hidden gems

Could you please give us more information about your likes and dislikes? Have you ever been here before? Help us help you.

Personally, the three most hidden and special things I know of in NYC are:

1. The Panorama at the Queens Museum. It is a scale model of every single building in New York City, including bridges, parks, airports...Every. Single. Freakin'. Building. Bring binoculars!

2. The Earth Room. It's a gallery in Soho where there is a room full of dirt, It's very quiet.

3. The optical illusion on the ceiling of the lobby of 30 Rockefeller Plaza.

But, if you want regular special places to visit. we got tons of them. Start here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s409/New-York-…

Edited: 20 February 2011, 04:03
Israel
Level Contributor
580 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New york city hidden gems

Thank you for your suggestions, they seem fantastic.

What I am looking for, are things to do, or places which are amazing to visit but for some reason aren't very well known and don't appear in most NYC guides.

I'll appreciate any more suggestions you might have.

Thanks !

New York, New York
Level Contributor
7,857 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New york city hidden gems

I just want to follow up with, considering we have about 8 million people around, it's kind of hard to keep any secrets about amazing places to visit. You may have to have a stroll and find one or two of your own. : )

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,920 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New york city hidden gems

Yeah all the lists above are wonderful but you will find amazing things just by exploring on your own. I'm sure if you've been to Jerusalem or Tel Aviv you've discovered new things on every visit. Do get beyond Manhattan though. Wave Hill in the Bronx. The Louis Armstrong house in Queens. The Alice Austen house in Staten Island. The Brooklyn Historical society. Art Galleries all over.

Enjoy!

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: New york city hidden gems

There are more than 100 unique, peaceful and off-the-beaten-track sites in the travel guidebook "Peaceful Places NYC", published recently. It's both a traditional paper book and an e-book

Also, check out the iPhone/iPad app "NYC Free and Frugal" for free and low-cost places and other hidden gems to visit and eat in NYC.

Hope you enjoy visiting my hometown!

Edited: 20 February 2011, 23:06
New York, New York
Level Contributor
7,857 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New york city hidden gems

Note re my post at #1. I just found out today that Mr. Forbes' children sold off his antique toy soldiers and boats in an auction at Sotheby's late last year. So I must apologize for the misinformation. However, there are many other wonderful things to see at the Forbes Galleries.

Edited: 20 February 2011, 23:47
NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New york city hidden gems

Hola.

Our favorite gems include:

Jacques Marchais Museum of Tibetan Art, 338 Lighthouse Avenue, Staten Island:

http://www.tibetanmuseum.org

Tibet House at 22 West 15th Street

http://www.tibethouse.us/

The Fricke Museum at 1 East 70th Street:

http://www.frick.org/

Morgan Library & Museum:

http://www.themorgan.org/home.asp

Lincoln Center Tours (especially the Met as you never know who will be rehearsing):

…lincolncenter.org/live/…guided-tours

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New york city hidden gems

The Cloisters!

Israel
Level Contributor
580 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New york city hidden gems

Thanks for your replies, I'd be happy to learn about some more hidden gems.