We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NY with a group of teens

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
NY with a group of teens

Hello All I am clueless!!!

The teenagers I work with have been asking me for a couple years to plan a trip to NYC. I have been very apprehensive about it, as I have only been to NYC once for a couple of hours to see the Statue of Liberty and to get lost in Central Park. So I don't know where to start. We are on a shoe string budget, so I am thinking about staying in New Jersey, will hotels accept youth groups? We are looking at coming this summer (thinking the end of June/first of July), hoping prices will be a little cheaper in the summer. Not to worried about the heat, since we live in Eastern NC, and are used to 100+ degree days and 100% humidity. I worry about traffic and crowds as that will be around Independence Day. Is this a decent time of year to come? Is touring NYC with a group of teens a good idea? As I said we are from Eastern, NC and the largest city most of these kids have ever been to is Raleigh, NC, so they can be very naive. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NY with a group of teens

Well.....yes, teen groups do visit NYC. I think before answering any questions we need some hard details. How many kids are you thinking of bringing (and how many hotel rooms and how many kids per room)? How will you travel? How many other adults can you round up for chaperoning? How much are you prepared to pay per night for hotel rooms? How many nights will you stay?

Yes, NJ is cheaper and if you come by bus, it may be easier to park the bus there but then you have to deal with traveling back and forth. In Manhattan, the Wellington is one hotel I know takes school groups and it's large. There's a regular poster here who regularly brings girl scout group to NYC from NJ and may be able to help.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NY with a group of teens

You are talking about pulling together a trip for a group in less than 4 months--- not knowing anything about what you are doing---- I would suggest to you that you need the help of a professional who does this kind of thing and will work night and day on pulling it all together---- If you are part of a group of parents have a meeting and see who will help and start assigning tasks. i will tell you that if you end up looking at 4th of July week you should be looking at 4th of July 2012 not 2011. unless you find that professional who can pull it together for this year very quickly.

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NY with a group of teens

It may be the summer of 2012 before we can make this happen. But I would be looking at those weeks, very end of June, first of July. The only other time we could possibly do this trip would be right after Easter, during the kids spring break. Is there a price break to come during the week or are prices the same on the weekend.

Hopefully we would be able to combine counties and fill a charter bus, so we would have probably 10-12 adults and 30-35 teens ages 13 +, unless a parent goes, then kids 9+ could go. Our youth organization does not allow adults and youth to stay overnight in the same room, so it would be 4 kids/hotel room, not sure if that matters to hotels.

We would just be doing the highlights, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Empire State Bldg., and possibly a show. Looking at doing two nights, three days. As we would not have the funding to stay much longer.

We've done trips like this in the past to Washington DC, but we've always been fortunate enough to book the National 4-H Center, which caters to youth groups. I am clueless when it comes to NYC, and overwhelmed.

Thank you all for your help.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NY with a group of teens

As long as you are not going in the next few months--- and next summer what I would do is write out an outline of these kinds of questions and send it as an email attachment to the group sales department of a number of hotels to see who will accommodate such a group and the cost---- the bus transportation

can be worked out later---- all of the other details will fall into place as you go along but you need to define your lodging needs and then once you pick a place establish a relationship with the group sales person at the hotel to work out all the details about how many in each room and if they can all be kids--- believe me they have done this before even if you haven't.

5. Re: NY with a group of teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2012, 14:17