We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seniors i.d

israel
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
seniors i.d

hi

is it possible to obtain some sort of "seniors i.d" or would i have to to show my passport for proof?

i dont really want to carry passports everywhere

thanks

harold

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,747 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seniors i.d

you can use your drivers lscence or state issued I d card.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,747 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seniors i.d

you can use you drivers icense or state issue I'd card

Edited: 08 March 2011, 10:19
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: seniors i.d

A driver's license with your birth date on it would work. Any govt. issued ID with your birth date. What do you think you need this for?

israel
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: seniors i.d

hi

i would think that maybe that if a seniors discount is available at say a museum one maybe asked for age proof.

it seems that my passport would be the best bet.

harold

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: seniors i.d

To my knowledge there are no senior discounts at museums but many museums have a pay what you want policy or certain days/hours that are free. Here's a link to always free and then there are other links on the page for suggested pay and sometimes free

newyorkology.com/archives/2010/05/alwaysfree…

If you're coming for more than a week, it might be worthwhile to apply for a senior metrocard to ride subways and buses at a discount. That has to be done in person when you arrive as they take your photo.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/fare/rfapply.htm

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: seniors i.d

PS if you don't want to carry around your passport, you could xerox the page with your photo/birthdate and carry that.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: seniors i.d

tripper, I did exactly that. I applied ( in person) to get a Senior's travel pass which was extremely handy and good value. I was never asked for proof anywhere where I asked for Senior's rate. To get the pass, I simply showed them my passport ( a photocopy would suffice). Good luck!

new york, ny
Level Contributor
461 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: seniors i.d

What age is considered senior? What discounts does the card provide?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: seniors i.d

65 or older is considered a senior for a reduced fare metrocard. I think it allows you to get a metrocard at half price.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,956 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: seniors i.d

Although there is virtually no publicity about this, you can also get the seniors discount on subways and buses without the senior Metrocard. For the senior Metrocard, you need to go in person to the office on Stone Street in Lower Manhattan (or fill out a form, get passport photos, get the whole thing notarized and mail it in.)

If you don't want to spend the time and effort doing this, you can show your ID and get half fare on the buses (change only) or go to an open subway clerk's booth and buy in effect a round tirp ticket. You get a Metrocard with one ride on it and a coupon that you can use for another trip on either the subway or the buses. The problem with this is that there aren't nearly as many open clerk's booths as there used to be, but it does work.