We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cupcake question.........

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Topic
cupcake question.........

While visiting in December, we happened to walk past a huge line for a cupcake shop/bakery near Rockefeller Plaza. I didn't catch the name of the shop, but from the look of the line, it appeared to be quite popular.

Does anyone know the shop I am describing? And, if any of you know the shop, would you recommend a purchase there?

Thanks so much....getting very excited as the weekend trip approaches. And thanks for all the advice from this forum!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,058 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,418 Reviews
from US$37.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,461 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cupcake question.........

I have no idea what place you saw. There's a Magnolia bakery, made famous by being featured on Sex & the City near Rock. Ctr. and it was probably that. Most people feel their cupcakes are not all that great after tasting them and specifically that the icing is too sweet. I think there's also a Crumbs near Rock Ctr. Sugar Sweet Sunshine, Two Little Red Hens and Billy's are some of the other top contenders. Here's a discussion from chowhound

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/399996

and our own NYCforMe did a cupcake tour and thought the cupcakes from Junior's (normally known for their cheesecake) were excellent.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3183462…

Mentioned in this post
crumbs
crumbs
28 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cupcake question.........

I imagine it was Magnolia Bakery, a branch of a bakery that started in Greenwich Village and was made famous by Sex and the City. (There are now several locations around town, as well as LA and Dubai.)

www.magnoliabakery.com/find_us_new_york.php

I think there are better places for cupcakes:

…seriouseats.com/2010/07/the-best-cupcake-in…

(Full disclosure: we write for Serious Eats, but had nothing to do with that column.)

Edited: 09 March 2011, 13:33
Mentioned in this post
Magnolia Bakery
Magnolia Bakery
1,699 Reviews
New York City, NY
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
pittsburgh
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: cupcake question.........

Thanks for the input. It must have been Magnolia as I am not a Sex in the City fan, probably was off my radar. It's my bday weekend so thought a good cupcake might be in order! I will look at your other suggestions....thanks to you both and to Crans for your "full disclosure."

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,057 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cupcake question.........

A cupcake is a cupcake - the ONLY reason Magnolia, Cake Boss etc have become famous over the world is SATC.

I was one who just had cupcakes from magnolia, a gift from family ttraveling in NYC - EEEEH....dry cake, too sweet frosting - not worth it as I'm sure they were expensive and the cake guy, must cost a mint for those creations, they are unique, I guess they have a regular bakery selling pastries - anybody had those?

I see the BOSS is now hosting a regular cooking show......guess cakes are not enough.

Poppa

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cupcake question.........

The best cupcake I've had in Manhattan was from Billy's Bakery. :O)

http://billysbakerynyc.com/

6. Re: cupcake question.........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 03:16