We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inside LaGuardia

chicago
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Inside LaGuardia

Hi All.

Heading to NYC this Wednesday and have a question for the experts. I am not familiar with LaGuardia so I need some help. My friend is flying from Houston on Continental, while I am flying from Chicago on American. I arrive at 11:00am while she arrives at 12:16pm. I want to wait for her and take a taxi together to our hotel. Are the baggage claims far apart for the two airlines? Is there somewhere I can wait for her, i.e. a bar or restauarant, outside security? If I didn't have a bag I would just wait for her at the Admirals Club and just find her, but I will have a bag to get at baggage claim. Any help to make our arrival easier would be great! Thanks and can't wait to get to NYC!

Cheers,

Robin

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inside LaGuardia

It is fairly small terminal, if I am not mistaken you will both be in terminal B, so you can meet up at the downstairs food court. It is a pretty small area so you should be able to meet up pretty easily.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
919 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inside LaGuardia

Both airlines use terminal B (Central Terminal Building). American flights from Chicago usually arrives at gates in concourse D, while Continental uses concourse A. I would wait for your friend at the entrance to the baggage claim area (arrivals area, lower level) at concourse B. It's a small area, so you should have no problems seeing them when they arrive.

chicago
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Inside LaGuardia

Does LaGuardia have a bar or restaurant outside the security area? I will have to wait for an hour and a half, so I was wondering if there are any places to sit and grab a drink after I get my bag? Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,447 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inside LaGuardia

Fig's is quite a nice restaurant and bar outside security in the main terminal. If I had to wait for someone that's where I'd go.

Raleigh NC
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inside LaGuardia

BISOUX - Kisses from La Guardia

March 2012: I usually fly to NYC via La Guardia, which to me is without a doubt, the best airport to the city, with JFK too crowded international and Newark to local outlying. However, as a connection, it leaves much to be desired.

Coming in from Toronto, LGA is seriously lacking, with bus - yes bus - connections to other terminals which, in this instance, caused me to miss my flight - the first time in my thirty years of travel. In general, no offense to my favorite New York, you must admit that while quaint, she needs an upgrade.

So after the bus, and after the now familiar, country-protecting, body cavity searching, "not hirable to work at McDonalds" TSA, I re-dressed and found myself in the D terminal with a 4 hour dinner-time lay-over. Throwing caution to the wind, turning left instead of right, I passed up the Prime Tavern, went towards the gates and certainly the road less traveled, in search of a different fare.

Much to my surprise, between the Crust's upbeat Italian fare and Gates 3 and 5, I came upon a little gem of La Guardia: Bisoux. Perusing the menu board as I waited to be seated, as the name aptly implies, Bisoux offered "kisses" of French cuisine with selections reminiscent of the times my better half and I spent in Paris.

Travelling alone, I did not stand long before I was seated at the corner of the community table - a twelve top in the middle of the bustling eatery. This is definitely not a typical bistro with stuffy waiters. These energetic servers (and in traditional long white aprons no less) were at my side tout de suite.

I was thus shortly sipping my standard Absolutly dirty with a twist ($11) as I opened the menu to find the familiars: Pâté, Nicoise, Croque Monssieur/Madame, Trout Amandine, Duck Confit, Pommes Frites and Haricot Verts amongst others. While Bisoux does not pretend to be white linen, it is assuredly a choice for fine dining at the airport.

So having the time to dine, I started with a classical Caesar Salad ($14) - "classic" in the sense that it was romaine, parmesan, a generous portion of croutons, sautéed in a dressing that tasted nothing less than made from scratch and for me importantly, topped with a white anchovy - nothing else. Simple, crisp, fresh, tasty.

I followed with a serving of fried calamari with a roasted tomato sauce ($14) paired with a crisp glass of Reisling Helfrich ($11). The calamari itself was light and cooked to perfection so it met my criteria for "all of the nots" - namely not fishy, greasy, heavy or chewy. The accompanying sauce was texturally and seasonably less confrontational than marina, less Italian and more French and complimentary to the dish. My only complaint was the lack of lemon wedges for the fresh zest which was quickly remedied by the ever diligent staff.

One word description of the staff: fantastique! I was a waiter for many years in New Orleans and admit that while I certainly was better than most, I was not as good as them. It was as if every server in the restaurant watched every customer and each and every time anyone passed, they asked if I needed anything. I did not have a single server - I had all of the severs and actually believe they cared.

So when the calamari lacked the lemon, I merely looked up and two were at my table and signaling with eye contact, a third brought it over (For Star Trek fans, they act as one organism: the Borg).

I followed the calamari with the Artisanal Cheese plate ($8) with a drizzle of truffle honey served with a fruity, dark cranberry-pecan bread that accentuated the different flavours in the cheese. This while I sipped a glass of Chateau St. Julien ($13) for a perfect match.

Having another hour before boarding, I finished with a bowl of a light lemon sorbet ($8) and a final glass of Reisling Helfrich ($11) to cleanse my palate, leaving me refreshed and ready for the final leg home.

So while celebrating in the French spirit I may have had one glass to many, I was able to leisurely dine - and arguable fine dining at that - at the best airport in the city - for a total of $97 and then the well-deserved 20% gratuity.

So if you are ever in terminal D, with an hour or so between flights, make a right at Prime, take the road less travelled and stop in at Bisoux. It's nouveau, fresh and upbeat - it's alive.

Bon appetite.

Marriott Courtyard Dowtown Toronto (Yonge/Alexander)

March 2012: From the States and now fortunate enough to start business with my Canadian brothers in the heart of Ontario, I had the opportunity to stay at the Downtown Marriott on are cent business trip to open bank accounts and meet with local vendors.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inside LaGuardia

They didn't just dress the lettuce in your Caesar salad, but instead sautéed it in salad dressing? How very odd; I have never heard of fried Caesar salad before.

7. Re: Inside LaGuardia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 May 2013, 19:05
New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inside LaGuardia

I'd say the above post can best be classified as harassment / personal attack.

Such behavior is against Tripadvisor policy.

Please do not post harassing / personal attack messages to this forum. Thank you.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,620 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Inside LaGuardia

Sautéed dressing is an analogy?

Raleigh NC
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inside LaGuardia

Thankfully someone was intuitive enough to see the analogous use of the word "sautée" as a reference to evenly coating the lettuce leaves in a light layer of dressing by tossing - as in sautéing.