We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cab fare from Manhattan to JFK

Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Cab fare from Manhattan to JFK

Hi all,

I just took a cab from a hotel located in manhattan to JFK. It's a yellow cab (sedan towncar) and when we got onto the cab, the driver told us the basic fate is $45 and it will all adds up to $65.

Upon arriving at the airport, we paid him $65 as agreed assuming that tips is included in the $65. However, he gave us an angry look and asked for his tips! We were caught surprised and could only gave him an additional $2 tip as we have no more small change.

My question is: did we wrong the driver because I read from tripadvisor that $60 cab fare should cover basic fare+tips+tolls.

Thanks.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Cab fare from Manhattan to JFK

Thats what I thought, there were a few of them though - so maybe it was a bigger taxi. Ah well, it was a good holiday!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Cab fare from Manhattan to JFK

all yellow cabs charge the same rate

maybe she got a car service and got an SUV or mini van perhaps?

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
33. Re: Cab fare from Manhattan to JFK

I arrive into JFK on New Years Day and wondered what the cost will be from JFK to Manhattan? Will it be double fare due to the day? Is the Airtrain a good alternative?

Thanks

Adam

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
34. Re: Cab fare from Manhattan to JFK

The 'flat-rate' from JFK on a NYC YELLOW cab is $52.00 plus any tolls and tip - rounded up $62/65 should so the trick.

No doubling of fares - it's just another day in the taxi world.

Airtrain would be much less expensive but you'll have to schlep around your luggage and depending where your hotel is located this could be a pain.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Cab fare from Manhattan to JFK

Hi , iv asked this before but have since changed hotels

what's the best way from JFK to the Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel?

do I just wait in line for a cab at the airport or would it be better taking the air train then the subway?

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Cab fare from Manhattan to JFK

It's an easy trip to your hotel by public transportation, if that's what you want to do. Take the AirTrain from your JFK terminal to Jamaica ($5.00.) Go downstairs to the subway, buy your Metrocard (and you'll probably want a weekly unlimited card for $31,00.) Take the E train to 7th Avenue (& 53rd Street) and your hotel will be just about right there.

Note that there are no escalators at the 7th Avenue station. It's two flights of stairs to the street but it's not a deep underground station. There are elevators and escalators where you'd change from the AirTrain to the subway in Jamaica.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
37. Re: Cab fare from Manhattan to JFK

You are arriving from the UK w/luggage - why not just take a taxi - schlepping suitcases etc. is a real pain - door to door service - splurge, you're on holiday.

Fort Lauderdale...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
38. Re: Cab fare from Manhattan to JFK

Taxis are pretty nasty, for a few dollars more get a "black car service". There are hundreds of choices. Shop around, use yelp for ratings. Also, be aware the "Air Train" to Long Island Rail Road to New York Penn Station is an excellent, inexpensive service to get to Midtown NYC.

Try to avoid arriving at JFK in the morning rush traffic (6:30-9:30 AM). Similarly, avoid afternoon rush traffic begins around 2:15-7:30 PM.

Chertsey, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Cab fare from Manhattan to JFK

I have just booked a taxi into Manhattan from JFK I booked over the telephone from the UK and was told that for three people with 3 checked in bags and 3 cabin bags we would need a mini van and not a regular limo This is going to cost us $98 including taxes and tip It is with Premier Limousines and I found them on the internet The basic price is $65 but then they add on all the extras If we pay by credit card when we get there It will cost us another $5 Fortunately there are three of us so we can split the cost three ways otherwise it would be prohibitive What does anyone else think?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Cab fare from Manhattan to JFK

You could fit in a regular yellow cab. No point booking a car service. The only advantage is to avoid a potentially long taxi line. I would not prepay in case there are any problems finding your car on the day.