We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting from 56stw to jfk

City of Greater...
Level Contributor
19 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
getting from 56stw to jfk

what is the best way to get to jfk from 56st near central park for a 8.30 flight cheers len

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: getting from 56stw to jfk

Best way - taxi!

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting from 56stw to jfk

First of all, it is not "56 StW"; it is West 56th Street, with "West" acting as an adjective in the same way as the "Little" in "Little Malop Street", or the "Eastern" in "Eastern Beach".

Next, as Central Park is a half mile wide, and the southern border of Central Park (all of which lies west of Fifth Avenue) is along the line of 59th Street, and West 56th Street -- which is a mile long -- is south of and parallel to 59th Street, the description "56th Street near Central park" is not very helpful as an address. Presumably your hotel has a name and an address, and is located on 56th Street between two cross streets; any of those would have been more helpful.

Finally, there is a huge difference between travelling to JFK at 5:30 in the morning for an 8:30 AM flight (when a car service is probably bestl) or at 5:30 in the afternoon for an 8:30 PM flight (when only the train will make sense); you really do need to tell us when you are travelling.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,871 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting from 56stw to jfk

Taxi is the simplest way to go. You can also take the train from Penn Station - quick and inexpensive - but you would have to get down there anyways so you might as well take the taxi to the airport.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
6,568 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting from 56stw to jfk

GWB is quite right about the consideration of whether the flight is a.m. or p.m. And may I add, if it's a weekend or not. For an 8:30 p.m. flight on a weeknight, you will be facing RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC if you leave about 5:30. In that case it may be best to take the train. It all depends. If you have a lot of luggage (or very heavy luggage) I would recommend a taxi or car service--but leave extra time in any event if you'll be in rush hour traffic.

City of Greater...
Level Contributor
19 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting from 56stw to jfk

Thank you GWB. sorry about remaing of streets it was not my intention to offend and yes it is Little malop st because it is smaller than Malop st. We are leaving the Le parker meridian

for a 8.30 am flt to pheonix az .and was tring to work out the most efeective way to get there not knowing the traffic situation heading to jfk . all help is gratfefully received cheers Len

Edited: 20 March 2011, 02:41
City of Greater...
Level Contributor
19 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting from 56stw to jfk

thank you for your reply 8.30 thursday morning 3 medium suitcases

New York, New York
Level Contributor
6,568 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting from 56stw to jfk

Hello aussielen,

Thank you for responding. You say 3 medium suitcases, but it's unclear how many people are in your party. Sounds like you might need a van. If you are going back to Australia, you would have to be at the airport by 5:30, is that right? Three hours ahead for international flights, and two for domestic?

At that time in the morning I would ask the hotel (or the folks wherever you are staying) to call me a car service.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting from 56stw to jfk

Early morning traffic to JFK should not be bad, as you will be going in the opposite direction from that of commuter traffic. For an 8:30 AM flight, I would use (as I already said above) a car service, such as allstate or dial7, in preference to a taxicab. You can make the arrangements yourself, and probably save a bit by doing so. Since you need to be at the airporpt around 6:30, I would want the car at the hotel between 5:30 and 6:00, but no later than that.

9. Re: getting from 56stw to jfk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 01:18