We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving on labor day

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Arriving on labor day

HI

If i'm looking at a holiday arriving in new york on the 5th of september (this years labor day) and staying the next 3 days, arriving at newark with any luck around 1.30pm. Does anyone envisage any problems travelling labor day?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,113 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
996 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,386 reviews
from US$36.00*
Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving on labor day

The roads might be busy with people returning from the beach after the long weekend, but the airport shouldn't be a problem.

Belfast
Level Contributor
510 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving on labor day

We went home on Labour Day last year, got the bus to Newark and the roads were fairly quiet. It's a good day to hit the shops, plenty of Labour Day sales, though some shops were closed.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving on labor day

Public transportation will be on a Sunday or a holiday schedule, even though it is a Monday.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,947 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving on labor day

The only problem is that you're hitting NYC at a very expensive time for hotels. If you look at hotel prices for the 3 days before Labor day and then the 3 days after, you'll see a big difference. Weekday prices are also usually more expensive and btw, if you're flying direct from the UK, not including a Sat. night stay will make the airfare massively more expensive. If this is the 2nd stop of a US trip, I'd come to NYC first.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving on labor day

HI

Did try getting a break over the weekend / played around with dates before labor day but, as the price of flights is astronomical at the mo,its cheaper overall to fly on a monday and so stay in the week

Does anyone know if hotels struggle to fill up before labor day (hence why prices are a little cheaper first few days in sept?)

Thanks to all for advice!:)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,947 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving on labor day

Hotels don't "struggle" to fill up but many people prefer a beach vacation around Labor Day so it's less crowded and there's less demand for city hotels. Prices always go up right after Labor Day of the fall "season" begins.

I see what you mean about ridiculously high airfare but you can still find some options taht are cheaper end/ of Aug/first week of Sept. There's an Aer Lingus flight that stops in Dublin that's a lot cheaper. Normally I wouldn't reco a change of planes but you go thru customs in Dublin and avoid JFk so there's some benefit in addition to the price.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving on labor day

Righteo-thanks for that. I was hoping in waiting to see if flights come down (as expedia arent featuring the cheaper flights at the mo) but will defo look at aer lingus when they become available

Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,947 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving on labor day

There's no reason to buy from Expedia unless you're talking about an air/hotel pkg (and not sure they offer all airlines on those pkgs.) I'm looking on kayak.com for airfare (you can check kayak.co.uk) There's also another website

hipmunk.com

for airfare. While air/hotel pkgs. can be good, esp. when airfare is high, it's not always the cheapest option and you generally have to pay the whole thing upfront. If your dates are flexible, end of Aug. will def. be cheaper.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving on labor day

Just think august will be a bit too hot for me as not been abroad much and do alot of walking around. Mind you its only a week isnt it-just worried about flaking when i get there as i dont have much experience of hot places

Thanks for the sites-the flights are coming up quite pricey now but i'll try a few diff dates.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving on labor day

September 2008 featured searing heat into the middle of September.

September 2009 featured such cold we were bundled up and by the fire come Labor Day Weekend.

September 2010 featured slightly more "normal" weather and it had already cooled down but it was very pleasant and not chilly.

We can't predict September 2011. We were dining al fresco last Friday. Now we've brought the winter coats and gloves back out of the closet. Temperatures went from 20 degrees above average to fifteen degrees below average. You just never know.