We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice for a vacation outside of NYC

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Need advice for a vacation outside of NYC

I'm not really sure if this is the correct thread for this but me and roughly 5 friends are looking to get out of NYC around the end of may early June for about a week is there anything we can do for about 400-500$. We're all around 22 and in college so we're broke and renting a car in incredibly expensive for us. So if anyone has any suggestions on any vacation/cruise/resort deals for cheap around that time it would be much appreciated.

Also we don't mind flying to another city if there's a good deal on a cruise or such, any idea or suggestion would be great.

Thanks!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice for a vacation outside of NYC

How can you afford to fly or go on a cruise if renting a car is too expensive. It would be by far the cheapest form of transportation when divided by 5. I would rethink that and once you decide if you want to do that I would head North to Boston which is one big college town and lots of people your age.

You didn't mean 400-500 all in for all of you for a week did you ?

Edited: 22 March 2011, 07:40
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice for a vacation outside of NYC

A cruise? You're 22, not 72 :)

If you only have $400/person for an entire week, I'd recommend a hiking/camping trip -- the Adirondacks, maybe. Would something like that be of interest?

You might also look into renting a house on Fire Island, the Jersey Shore, or the Hamptons. If each of you chips in $400, you may be able find something for the week in one of those areas, and the travel costs would be low.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice for a vacation outside of NYC

If it's $400-500 per person in total for everything I don't know if you have enough money for a week unless you go camping and if none of you have a car, that's an issue. You can certainly find something for a long weekend or maybe even 5 days. I thought a cruise sounded weird but if you want one, there are always deals around.

travelzoo.com

is one place to look. They even has a forum where you input starting point, number of days etc.

You can probably find a house to rent near a beach in Ct. or Rhode Island but getting there and getting around may be a problem without a car. I think for a nearby beach location, Fire Island may be your best bet if you don't want to rent a car. If you don't mind a very quiet time, Shelter Island is another option.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice for a vacation outside of NYC

Well first to clarify yes i meant 400-500/person

And yeah I was looking into poconos and fire island but the problem is that a lot of the renters want the ppl staying in their home to be 25+ which is a problem for us. I can definitely get an older family member to sign the lease but they won't be coming with us would anyone know a renter whose more open with the age limit?

Also I have a premier BJs membership (I think its called premier) through a family member but even than car rentals are ridiculousness the surcharge rate for being under 25 is !!!!! renting a car for a week would cost me 500+ and if I want a SUV/Mini Van its going to be 800+ so I would def call that really expensive.

And since everyone does mention Fire Island can anyone explain to me how fire island works? What area should I be looking for an area more age 21 friendly?

Thanks a lot.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice for a vacation outside of NYC

How Fire Island works?

fireisland.com/about/…

fireisland.com/about/…

http://www.fireislandliving.com/fiinfo.cfm

Type Fire Island Weekly rentals into a search engine.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice for a vacation outside of NYC

i have been to fire island and was not impressed, not sure u need to spend an entire week there.

on long island u can try long beach, u guys can take the train - LIRR. and enjoy the beach there.

There are cruises that leave manhattan on the west side, but not for $500. unless u are willing to fly to florida, which means that if u are willing to fly u can afford to take a cruise for $1000. check on cruise to go, or expedia and u pick new york as the port and u will see your options

New York City
Level Contributor
126 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice for a vacation outside of NYC

Check out http://www.cheapcaribbean.com/

Depending on when/where you're going, you can often find packages that include airfare and all-inclusive hotels/resorts for under $500.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice for a vacation outside of NYC

Hey tugene:-) You may want to take a look at Belmar in the Jersey Shore! Should fit the bill..and you can just take NJTransit so no rental needed;-) Check it out..and EnjoY!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,208 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advice for a vacation outside of NYC

There's a guy in Kismet (Fire Island) called Dennis, who owns about 15 houses. His father used to rent to anyone - hoards of high schoolers after their prom, etc (so, they collapsed the deck one year and burnt down the house the next!)

Not sure if Dennis is as loose when it comes to his rental policy, but its worth googling for short term rentals in Kismet - most likely anything that comes up (that isnt an efficiency apartment in the Boatel, or the Camelot) will be his.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need advice for a vacation outside of NYC

Thanks everyone looking into houses in Fire Island right now, but it seems that hotels might be significantly cheaper at this rate..

So which hotel would you recommend? I was looking through trip adviser and it says most of the hotels are pretty bad.