We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Place for Pre Wicked dinner?

Houston
Level Contributor
181 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Good Place for Pre Wicked dinner?

I was at first thinking Le Bernadin, but it looks like it's 112 pp for dinner. I can't spend that on seafood, although I'm sure his seafood would be amazing(plus I have a slight crush on him)

I rather spend that amount on steak.

Any ideas what would be good near the theather? We are also staying at the Algonquin so we don't want to travel too far for dinner.

Thanks!

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,062 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Place for Pre Wicked dinner?

This is a decent inexpensive option that has good steaks and desserts-

thecapitalgrille.com/Locations/NYC-Time-Life…

Also you could consider-

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60763-d42…

or-

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60763-d42…

Edited: 23 March 2011, 17:36
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Place for Pre Wicked dinner?

Our dinner at Bar Americain on W 52nd between 6th & 7th was quite good, and they serve a lot of pre-theater dinners.

Mains are under $40, and they serve steak. http://www.baramericain.com/new-york-city-restaurant/file/2108/DINNER%20January%2014,2011[1].qxd.pdf

Edited: 23 March 2011, 18:30
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Place for Pre Wicked dinner?

Not sure why that link to Bar Americain menu didn't work:

http://www.baramericain.com/

Also, Triomphe, in the Iroquois, beside the Algonquin Hotel, might be a safe bet, and they have filet mignon on the menu:

www.triomphe-newyork.com/menus/pdf/dinner.pdf

Kellari Taverna, DB Moderne, as well as several moderately priced bistros, are also located on W 44th, within 2 blocks of the Algonquin.

Edited: 23 March 2011, 18:38
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,032 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Place for Pre Wicked dinner?

We usually suggest you not do a blowout dinner before a show but save that for an evening when you're not going to the theater and won't be rushing to make a curtain. Empire Steak (new), Capitale Grill, Ben Benson's and Bobby Van's westside are a few of the steakhouses that would be well located for you but steakhouses are quite pricey and usually nothing's included (everything comes a la carte). Look at prices on

menupages.com

Saju Bistro is a few blocks from your hotel headed toward the theater and has a very good value (~$25 for 3 courses) pre theater menu. They include hanger steak as an entree option and it's quite good.

St. Andrews is a Scottish pub also on the way to the theater and they have a prix fixe dinner with an option for NY Strip steak for ~$32 but I've not had it.

standrewsnyc.com/menu-prixfixewinedinner.html

DB Bistro Moderne is a well regarded rest. on the same block with your hotel (in the City Club hotel next door). They do a pre theater for $45 but it doesn't include steak as an option. It gets noisy in there though.

menupages.com/restaurants/…menu

Also on the same block as your restaurant, Triomphe inside the Iroquois hotel is very nice and has a filet mignon which does come with pot. & veg. for ~$35.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Place for Pre Wicked dinner?

Hey Janie0609:-) Kellari is actually located right up the block from your hotel towards 5th Avenue..It's a Greek place and you'll find some great fish options there;-) If you're looking for steak, you'll find www.frankieandjohnnies.com/ on the other side of Broadway on the corner of 45th and 8th Avenue..Enjoy!

Houston
Level Contributor
181 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Place for Pre Wicked dinner?

Just thought I'd respond on this. Why went to Capital Grill, the pre theater menu was great. Salad, or Soap, steak, patato, veggie and dessert for 35 per person. Best thing walk to the wicked show was maybe 5-10 minutes.

Good experince!

Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Place for Pre Wicked dinner?

Although I haven't been there, EE grill house is right around the corner from the Gershwin. Decent reviews from what I've seen.

Broomfield, Colorado
Level Contributor
419 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Place for Pre Wicked dinner?

We went to Tad's Steaks before Wicked. It is about a 3 block walk - 761 7th Avenue, to be exact. Dinner will set you back about $15 -20 pp, and with the money you save you can go out for a nice dessert at any of a number of places in the area, as we did. It is not Peter Luger's by any stretch, but a filet Mignon dinner for $15 (since you are eating early) is hard to beat. They have been there for like 80 years, I enjoyed the food, and you can be in and out quick if you choose, they are not busy at 5 or 6 PM...

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Place for Pre Wicked dinner?

I would also recommend DB Bistro Moderne - we had dinner there Friday night, and enjoyed it. We were not there for the pre-theater dinner, but I would definitely return there for dinner when going to a show.

Level Contributor
34,520 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Place for Pre Wicked dinner?

We were very happy with Esca for dinner before The Lion King. We gave Le Bernardin a full evening, it was the most memorable meal of my life and meeting Eric was very cool! :).