We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distances in Manhattan

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
311 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Distances in Manhattan

Can anyone advise me on the distance approximately from Central Park South to Battery Park or World Trade Centre.

Just trying to get an idea of the distance between places so that we can plan our days and work out what is in walking distance and what is not.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distances in Manhattan

I would subway or bus down to Battery Park or the WTC from Central Park South. You can walk it, but it's a serious trudge. In winter that means lots of cold, in summer that means lots of hot.

Flushing, NY
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distances in Manhattan

Battery Park is at the southern tip of Manhattan. Central Park South is around 59th Street. It would take you more than an hour to walk it. Hop on the subway and you'll be there in no time at all.

To help you plan, figure it this way. Manhattan is like a grid sort of in the shape of your thumb. It's much longer north to south than it is wide east to west.

Streets run east and west and it takes about one minute to walk one block. So from 59th to 58th is a minute.

Avenues run north and south. It takes about 5 minutes to go from 5th Avenue to 6th Avenue.

Central Park South is a nice location within easy walking distance to most of what you probably want to see. You'll need the subway for the downtown neighborhoods and sights such as Greenwich Village, Battery Park, Ground Zero, Little Italy, SoHo, Chinatown South Street Seaport, the Brooklyn Bridge, Staten Island Ferry, Ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island and the lower East Side.

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
311 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Distances in Manhattan

Thanks very much for your information. I am a walkaholic so you have given me an idea of distances. I prefer to walk places when I am touring as you see so much more and as I normally take my dogs for an 90 minute walk in the mornings before work we will probably manage touring with our feet okay. Thanks for the explanation of New York City as well being a grid system, really makes things alot easier when working out getting from a - b.