We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inside fun

Ridley Park...
Level Contributor
10 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Inside fun

i'm looking for suggestions of inside activity for this Friday as it's supposed to rain. I'm going to the theater at 8 PM, but will have the day. I visit NYC frequently and have been to all the major museums several times. I'm hoping there is some interesting indoor place to see that I don't know about. Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inside fun

How about less major museums? Have you been to ICP? The Rubin? The Frick?

How about Chelsea Market?

shopping?

with all the scaffolding around the city, you can walk around outside and be under cover a lot of the way. I wouldnt look for inside activities if I was traveling and it rained - I would just carry an umbrella. A torrential downpour in another matter, but it doesnt rain hard for long, except in rare instances.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inside fun

Well, "interesting" casts a wide net. Care to help us narrow that down?

Secondly, there are a gazillion lesser known museums that are def worth a visit.

Persuse this list! Many are free or pay-what-you-wish:

newyorkology.com/archives/2006/02/new_york_c…

Ever been to The Museum of the City of New York, The New York Historical Society, the Cooper-Hewitt, the ICP or the Frick? How about learning about a particular nationality or cultural group: Jewish Museum, Mus. of Chinese in the Americas, El Museo del Barrio, Japan Society, Rubin Museum (TIbetan art), Asia Society, etc, etc, etc.

I, of course, always recommend a visit to THE PANORAMA AT THE QUEENS MUSEUM. If you have the whole rainy day ahead of you, it will be a good fit.

It's a scale model of every single building, park, bridge, monument and airport in NYC. That's right: EVERY. SINGLE. FREAKIN'. BUILDING. It's excellent for repeat visitors. Bring binoculars and find all the places you've been!

flickr.com/photos/…72157623297073884

flickr.com/photos/…

You can enjoy the sing-along piano bar at Don't Tell Mama before or after your show.

http://donttellmamanyc.com/

Enjoy!

Ridley Park...
Level Contributor
10 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inside fun

Haven't been to the Rubin; might try that. Thanks for your help!

4. Re: Inside fun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 09:23