We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone seen The Book Of Mormon or War Horse?

australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone seen The Book Of Mormon or War Horse?

After a huge amount of deliberation I have narrowed down the two Broadway shows I want see the most to being either Book of Mormons or War Horse, but now I can't pick between the two.

I know they are totally different shows and it is not as easy as choosing either a musical or a drama. Has anyone seen either and can offer an opinion?

I also considered Memphis but I read that I can probably get discount tickets on the day for that, so I will just take pot luck with it. I know many of you feel Wicked is the show that shouldn't be missed but it worries me that it might be too cute for my taste.

I hope you can help, this has been SOOO hard. I wish I could afford to see a lot more but I can't and as this will more than likely be my one and only chance ever to see a Broadway Show I am putting too much pressure on myself to choose well.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
918 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone seen The Book Of Mormon or War Horse?

Both shows are currently the hottest (i.e. most difficult to get) tickets on Broadway. Both shows are excellent, but as you know, very different. If you want to be entertained through irreverent and outrageous humor, then The Book of Mormon is the choice. If you want a very mesmerizing, entertaining drama that is breathtakingly staged and directed, see War Horse. Broadway insiders are already predicting both shows will take the Tony Awards this year for Best Musical and Best Play.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone seen The Book Of Mormon or War Horse?

Tickets to either of these shows are so hard to get. You wil likely have to go the StubHut.

I tend to buy tickets months in advance without the reviews. (I see them in previiews I lucked out this time with both of these shows. I see War Horse tomorrow. And, Book of Mormon in May.

But, I have seen disaters such as Tarzan and many others.

Yeppers

Edited: 09 April 2011, 02:49
NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone seen The Book Of Mormon or War Horse?

Follow up

There are a LOT of good plays and musicals on B'way; don't limit yourself to these two

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
759 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone seen The Book Of Mormon or War Horse?

Just saw War Horse on Friday night. It was one of the most moving pieces of theater I have ever seen. There was not a dry eye in the house. Wonderful acting, stagecraft, and music. I was so happy to have seen it, and I may try to see it again.

I am also a big fan of The Lion King. Although you might think it to be too cute and "Disney," it is not - a beautiful, unique musical appropriate for both children and adults.

australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone seen The Book Of Mormon or War Horse?

Thanks everyone. I took a deep breath and dug deeper. I couldn't decide so I am going to both, I just went for the cheaper tickets.

Traveldeer I love the idea of Lion King , I was tossing up with seeing that in Vegas. I will have to take my chances with a discount kiosk now.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone seen The Book Of Mormon or War Horse?

Good decision!

I've already got my tickets for both of these shows and I'm very much looking forward to seeing them.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone seen The Book Of Mormon or War Horse?

I saw War Horse tonight.

OMG!!!!

I agree with everything Travel Dear said. it just blew me away. I will likely think about it for days on end. It is so interesting historically too; machine guns, tanks, horses, etc. I loved it and my husband can not stop talking about it.

And, I also agree that the Lion King is just a fantastic show. It is not just for kids.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
759 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone seen The Book Of Mormon or War Horse?

I completely agree with you, cm7872 (about War Horse and The Lion King)! I'm glad that you enjoyed War Horse so much. It is such a wonderful and popular show, that I foresee it moving to a larger stage on Broadway. Additionally, it is apparently being made into a movie by Spielberg.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,840 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone seen The Book Of Mormon or War Horse?

Glad you decided to see both. What an impossible choice that was going to be!

Enjoy!

australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone seen The Book Of Mormon or War Horse?

I am hopeless at any decisions, that has worked in my favour this time .

The more I read the happier I am to be seeing both.