We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good restaurant suggestions near Gershwin Theater

Level Contributor
149 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Good restaurant suggestions near Gershwin Theater

Does anyone have any good restaurant suggestions for the area near the Gershwin Theater? We have Wicked tickets and can eat either before or after the show (on a Sat. night).

Price is flexible--can be anything from inexpensive to moderately expensive. We really just want good food!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,451 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good restaurant suggestions near Gershwin Theater

If you're seeing an evening performance, you probably want to eat before as it's a long show (2 1/2 hrs PLUS a 15 min. intermission).

Some of the popular options nearby:

ViceVersa - I used to regularly recommend this near the theater but I think they're off their stride based on recent reviews (and I haven't been in a while).

www.menupages.com/restaurants/viceversa/

Thalia & Bar Americain (Bobby Flay restaurant) for American are popular. Bar Americain very loud.

If you want a real "NYC" experience and your husband is willing to wear a jacket, the 21 Club is not that far and they do a pre theater dinner.

21club.com

The Modern or the Modern Bar inside MOMA are also not that far.

Capital Grill and Empire Steak are 2 newish steakhouses near the theater I haven't tried but getting good reviews.

For something very casual, Siam Inn is a Thai restaurant not far and considered one of the best in Manhattan but very low key.

www.menupages.com/restaurants/bluechili/

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,451 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good restaurant suggestions near Gershwin Theater

PS I should have asked about whether there are kids involved. Most of these places are pretty "grown up."

Level Contributor
149 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good restaurant suggestions near Gershwin Theater

nywhiz--no kids--just my 18-year old daughter and myself.

Thanks for suggestions...I'll look them up!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good restaurant suggestions near Gershwin Theater

When we were there a couple of years ago, people were recommending Maria Pia. We had a very good prix fixe pre-Wicked dinner there.

www.mariapianyc.com/media/websitemari.html

Now it is never mentioned. Is it no longer good? I'll be there in a couple of weeks with friends and was going to suggest it, but would like to hear recent opinions.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,451 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good restaurant suggestions near Gershwin Theater

It was never a favorite of mine, CB. It's right near ViceVersa which I used to prefer. Now MP is getting mediocre reviews too.

www.menupages.com/restaurants/maria-pia/

For that type of Italian, I'd look at Trattoria Trecolori. Not outstanding but better than MP imo.

menupages.com/restaurants/…

I like Basilica

www.menupages.com/restaurants/basilica/

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good restaurant suggestions near Gershwin Theater

Thanks for the links, nywhiz - they helped! I'm sorry to hear that Maria Pia is no longer the good experience that we had. I'll suggest Basilica to my friends.

Level Contributor
149 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good restaurant suggestions near Gershwin Theater

The menu at Basilica looks wonderful! We may have to try it before our show. Thanks for the tip!

Edited: 09 April 2011, 21:11
new jersey
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good restaurant suggestions near Gershwin Theater

Not much time nor $$$ but looking for a kid friendly restaurant to get a quick bite before 7pm weeknight show. 13 year old birthday gift to Wicked..but need to feed 3 friends too! Any suggestions? Thanks!

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good restaurant suggestions near Gershwin Theater

According to YELP, Basilica has closed.

Montclair, NJ
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good restaurant suggestions near Gershwin Theater

Try John's Pizzeria on 44th St. Not too far to walk and reasonable. Took a group of 13-yr-olds there before Wicked and they loved it.