We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Teeny, tiny trip report & Big thank you

Level Contributor
518 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Teeny, tiny trip report & Big thank you

We just returned from a very quick trip to NYC. I just want to thank the folks who responded to my last minute question about a restuarant (especially nywhiz!!!) as the NYC forum people are the best on tripadvisor!!

We went to the city last night to see Tosca at the Met. We stayed at the Lotos Club on E66th & 5th. We arrived and had enough time for a visit to the Frick Museum which I have been wanting to do for some time. It was lovely. We went to Chat Noir (across the street from the Lotos) for a late afternoon glass of wine at the bar & roasted beet salad (very nice with avocado, green apple and blue cheese).

Then we headed across town to get an early dinner before the Opera. Based upon nywhiz's suggestion, we went to Barcibo. It was just perfect! It was just blocks away from the Met and we were early enough (around 6:00PM) that the place wasn't full. We were shown to the manager's "favorite" table which was more or less a ledge overlooking the bar and entrance. It was a fun spot from which to watch all the action as things got really busy. We had a few small plates (broccoli rabe, sausage & beans, wild mushroom risotta and assorted bruchetta) with a couple of glasses of good wine. We arrived at the Met in time for a quick cup of coffee before we got to our seats. The opera was good though we were probably a little too full and tired so we both nodded off a bit I'm afraid to say. I was amazed with the back of the seat titles that didn't have any peripheral intrusion. Just amazing!

In the morning we walked across the park to catch the subway downtown. We couldn't help but notice the number of dogs, all out without leashes. We were so surprised by this (and by all of them getting along so well) that I asked someone who told me that prior to 9:00AM one can let dogs off leash at Central Park. We headed down to 18th Street to stroll along the High Line, the elevated park designed on the abandoned railroad. It was wonderful!! The art installations were interesting and though much of the plantings were still dormant it was still beautiful and gave a different perspecttive to view the city from. I can imagine how much it is used by the neighborhood residents. We headed down to Chelsea Market and got some coffee and goodies and poked around some stores. Then we made it back uptown to the East Side by taking a couple of train transfers without problem.

The visit was too short but jut perfect. We had to head back home to our puppy. Next time. maybe he can come visit the other many dogs of NYC!!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
140 Reviews
from US$175.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,013 Reviews
from US$83.99*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,127 Reviews
from US$57.00*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,395 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Level Contributor
9,169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Teeny, tiny trip report & Big thank you

Glad you found the dogs, the great food and the Met.

Level Contributor
2,858 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Teeny, tiny trip report & Big thank you

yes, nywhiz and many others are amazing and helpful. Enjoyed reading about your perfect trip......

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
101,477 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Teeny, tiny trip report & Big thank you

Glad it was a successful trip. ;) Curious to hear about the rooms at the Lotos Club.

Level Contributor
518 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Teeny, tiny trip report & Big thank you

Sorry - just noticed the question.....

We didn't spend much time at the Club so I only peeked into most of the public rooms. There were several dining rooms, a lovely library and the grill downstairs in the basement where we had breakfast. All were tastefully appointed with impressive artwork, handsome fireplaces and furniture. Our guest room was of a good size, with a queen bed, a writing desk and a sitting area with upholstered chairs. The bathroom was smallish with only a shower stall, no tub. It had updated fixtures but nothing special. The bed had a heavy spread and lot of fabric on the windows. A bit much for my taste. I prefer a simple duvet. I didn't see much of any of the other rooms, just peeked into a few as housekeeping was cleaning in the morning. They appeared to be similar.

rhyl, north wales
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Teeny, tiny trip report & Big thank you

Glad you had a good time,liked the bit about heading home to your puppy as we have just had a west highland white terrier puppy!!

6. Re: Teeny, tiny trip report & Big thank you

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 12:19