We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking Time

Brampton
Level Contributor
97 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Walking Time

Will be staying at the Staybridge Suites at 340 West 40th St. Could anyone give me an idea how long it would take to walk from there to the Empire State Building.

Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking Time

If you go on google maps and name your two locations there is a walking icon you can click on that will tell you the most direct route and est. walking time.

Canada
Level Contributor
104 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking Time

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=340+W+40th+St,+New+York,+NY+10018&daddr=Empire+State+Building,+New+York,+NY,+United+States&hl=en&geocode=FRfmbQIdCPaW-ykV833UUljCiTGg6-lqsTvYbg%3BFd7DbQIdqRSX-yFzdY-mZOGFkQ&mra=ltm&dirflg=w&sll=40.752385,-73.98726&sspn=0.015995,0.038581&ie=UTF8&ll=40.752394,-73.988628&spn=0.015995,0.038581&t=h&z=15

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking Time

http://hopstop.com/ is a great resource for transport and walking directions/times.

If you've got an iPhone (or other smartphone) that you are planning to take with you, download their app.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
434 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking Time

Hey Mez, thanks for the link, am downloading this onto my iphone as we speak. Great app!!

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking Time

It's about 3/4 of a mile. Under city conditions, with the need to wait for traffic lights at corners and lacking familiarity with the neighborhood, you might expect to walk at a pace of about 2 to 2.5 miles per hour, which is a relaxed amble.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
434 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking Time

Update Mez this app is FANTASTIC!!! I just typed in Rivington St to Empire State building, told me how to get to subway station, which subway train to catch, were to get off. Lol I am sure you know this but I feel like I have just hit the jackpot. I am many fortes but a sense of direction is not one of them!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking Time

Georgie, another one you may be interested in is Crosswalk.

You plug in an address and it gives you closest cross streets. I think I paid for this one but was only about a $1 or so when I did.

UK
Level Contributor
92 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking Time

plannersteve,

I stayed at Staybridge Suites recently - wonderful hotel by the way. It doesn’t take that long to get to the Empire State Building. Turn right when leaving the hotel, when you reach the end of the block, turn right again and proceed down 8th Avenue. Turn left when you reach W34th street, you should see the Empire State Building in the distance. It shouldn’t take more than 20 mins (depending on how fast you walk) to get there from your hotel.

Have a great time!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
434 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking Time

Thanks Mez, I will go and download it. It's all about the cross st in NY :)

Brampton
Level Contributor
97 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking Time

Thank You to everyone for your help.Now I can plan my days a little better using the recommended links.

plannersteve