We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Musical recommendations

Australia
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Musical recommendations

Could i please get some recommendations for musicals? Ive seen lion king, wicked, billy elliot.

Thinking of jersey boys and catch me if you can. Has any one seen catch me if you can, is it any good? Are there any other productions with great singers and songs that you cannot get out of your head?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,455 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Musical recommendations

Have not seen it but have heard Catch Me is very good

yelp.com/biz/catch-me-if-you-can-the-musical…

although the critics didn't agree.

broadwaymusicalblog.com/2011/…

Jersey Boys has been playing to packed houses for years now and is still going strong. The music (Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons) is classic. If you haven't seen it, go.

New shows Priscilla Queen of the Desert and Sister Act are transplanted hits from London and getting good buzz. The Book of Mormon is the big hit of the season and tickets are impossible to get. Anything Goes, a Cole Porter revival got a rave too.

Here are the various critics' picks from the NY Times (includes non musicals).

…nytimes.com/shows/critics/critics-picks

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Musical recommendations

What about Mary Poppins?

I enjoyed Wonderland recently. Not the best, but very enjoyable and fun! Beaiful costumes, sets and effects.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Musical recommendations

I watched catch me if you can last week and it was brilliant,i actually enjoyed it more than the film! I got discounted tickets online from one Of the usual discount places :)

Australia
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Musical recommendations

Thanks, for tkts it was mentioned somewhere on this forum that on of the branches has less queues but do all branches sell the same musicals? Are there any that you can only get a particular show?

I aLso noticed hat jersey boys until only recently does not have discounted tickets, is it likely to continue at the discounted

Rate

Delaware
Level Contributor
403 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Musical recommendations

I recommend Million Dollar Quartet...you'll want to get up and dance!

jcbexleyoh
Level Contributor
3 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Musical recommendations

The current production of Anything Goes is splendid - Sutton Foster is a true star - and the dancing and singing in this beautiful production is fantastic. I saw it on April 27, 2011.

jcbexleyoh
Level Contributor
3 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Musical recommendations

Anything Goes with Sutton Foster is a terrific production. I saw it on April 25, 2011. Splendid, great singing and dancing. Warhorse at Lincoln Center has great staging - the horses are the stars of the show (they are life-sized but humans provide the action and sounds) but the show is over long and the plot rather dull.

Take time to walk to the Conservatory gardens in Central Park. Splendid in the Spring!

new york
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Musical recommendations

Jersey Boys is likely to show up on occasion at tkts - probably more likely on a weekday. I certainly wouldn't plan on finding it at the booth but there is a small chance that it will be there.

I saw the second preview of Catch Me if you Can and I liked it a lot. There are some problems with the show ( mainly with the book) but I plan to go back at the end of the month because I really enjoyed it. I thought that the performances were great. On my last trip I also saw:

Priscilla- I have seen twice and is a fun show to disco songs.

Anything Goes was mentioned above and that is also a very good production as is How to Succeed in Business without really trying with Daniel Radcliffe. He isn't the best singer but he really sold the role and he danced very well.

Catch me was my favorite of the four even though it got mediocre reviews.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Musical recommendations

How is the music in "How to Suceed" ? Is it catchy? Is this one a musical or a play?

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Musical recommendations

Giraffez,

We saw How to Succeed in early March and thought it was terrific. Musical with infectious music.

But it may depend on your age. We're in our early 60s, and enjoyed it because it took us back to the America we grew up in. Great costumes and a look back at social and cultural mores, with tongue firmly in cheek.

The vast majority of the audience -- girls/women age 15 - 30 -- was there to see Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter), and they seemed to enjoy it, too. He was extremely likeable and handled the singing and dancing quite well. The "bring-down-the-house" number in the first act is entirely his and John Laroquette's. The production earned some nominations from the Outer Circle Critics http://www.outercritics.org/News.aspx.

Also, not sure you know: The South Street Seaport location sells MATINEE tix the day BEFORE the show. At Times Square, it's the day OF the show. I don't know how they decide which location gets which tix, but they can be different. More info here: http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56 See what shows were available the previous week at both locations: www.tdf.org/TDF_SupportPage.aspx?id=68&do=v