We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Coast College Visits and Sightseeing

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
East Coast College Visits and Sightseeing

Hello, I have posted in this forum before about my planned college visits and sightseeing in NYC, Boston, and DC. I have a list of schools now that I'm interested in visiting:

NYC: Fordham University, New York University

Boston: Boston University, Boston College, Northeastern University

DC: George Washington University, Georgetown University, American University

Also are there any Ivy League colleges that are close by the 3 cities that visiting will be convenient? This is my first time in the East Coast of United States so other than college visits I will be doing some sightseeing as well!

We will arrive at NYC on June 27 7 in the morning and I have to be at UCLA by July 8. This means I have June 27-July 7 for my college visits and sightseeing. Is this enough for the three cities???

Thank you very much.

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: East Coast College Visits and Sightseeing

Columbia U. in NYC

U Penn in Philadelphia

Yale in New Have, CT

MIT and Harvard in Boston

Princeton which is midway between Philadelphia and NYC

Edited: 17 April 2011, 15:12
Tn
Level Contributor
145 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East Coast College Visits and Sightseeing

Another Ivey is Dartmouth College in Hanover NH- about 3 hrs from Boston. There is a bus service that runs from the Boston airport(Logan) to Dartmouth. newenglandtravelplanner.com/transport/bus/da…

Tn
Level Contributor
145 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East Coast College Visits and Sightseeing

Sorry - meant IVY not IVEY

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,779 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East Coast College Visits and Sightseeing

In Boston all three of your choices are fairly close together (but I wouldn't try to see all three in one day) and Harvard University in Cambridge is just a couple of subway stops from down town Boston.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,779 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East Coast College Visits and Sightseeing

Also, Yale University is between NY and Boston ... and if you travel by train, it stops in New Haven Connecticut, where Yale is located.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East Coast College Visits and Sightseeing

Thank you guys. Do you think it is better if we rent a car (there is three of us) in NYC to travel between the cities or is it better if we travel between the cities via. airplane given the limited amount of time we have in the 3 cities?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: East Coast College Visits and Sightseeing

You got lots of good advice in response to your previous query:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4347248…

Which included the advice, among other things, to not rent a car ;-)

To be honest, it seems you're taking a scatter-shot approach to looking at colleges. Given your very limited budget (you're hoping for hotel rooms for a party of 3 for just $85-135/night!) and the fact that you only have 10 days (some of which are the July 4 holiday weekend) to travel along the East Coast cities AND make campus visits & do some sightseeing, I'll encourage you to become more of an informed "shopper". E.g., have you actually done homework on the admission rates of Chinese students to all these colleges, do you know what students coming from China can reasonably expect to receive in financial aid -- assuming that your family can't afford to pay all the expenses of tuition, fees, books, room & board/an apartment (the cost of living in all 3 cities is very high and more than a few of the colleges you've listed are amongst the most expensive in the country, and prices will continue to climb); do you have a good idea of what your college major will be and have you assessed the relative strengths & weaknesses of all these schools concerning your likely field of study; have you contacted very recent grads and current Chinese students at these schools for their perspectives?

Edited: 17 April 2011, 16:37
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: East Coast College Visits and Sightseeing

P.S. My recommendation would be to immediately head for Boston after landing in NYC, so you'll be out of Boston before the July 4th holiday weekend begins -- Boston is a wildly popular place to be for that weekend, so hotel availability is already limited and rates are high. Then fly from Boston to Washington, DC; Reagan National Airport (DCA) should be your first choice of airports because that's right across the Potomac River from DC: it's a short, cheap ride from DCA -- unlike Dulles (IAD) or Baltimore (BWI) ; you should be able to find more, relatively inexpensive lodging choices in Arlington, VA (home of DCA) than in DC itself. Good news: Boston->DCA flights are cheaper than I was expecting to see. DC will be crowded but not as zoo-y as Boston during the July 4 holiday weekend. Then consider travelingl via Megabus or Bolt (good bus companies) or Amtrak (train) from DC back to NYC (and possibly Philadelphia en route).

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: East Coast College Visits and Sightseeing

I think I need to be more specific here:

In my last post many people asked me what specific schools I'm visiting. Back then I didn't have the list, but now i do (see my first post). I think what I need help on is whether I can visit my list of schools without renting a car nor taking a taxi (since some schools may be far from city center). Can you help me with that?

Also, I agree that $85-135 for 3 can be a bit unrealistic (I was probably thinking in terms of Euros b4). Do you think I can get a decent 2-3 star hotel deal per night for 3 people with a budget of around $100-175?

One more thing on a side note. I'm pretty sure I don't need financial aid for university. I'm not sure what got that thought into your mind, but chances are people who need financial aid are talented individuals who deserve to seek higher education but are too poor to even leave their home country.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,791 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: East Coast College Visits and Sightseeing

You have part of a list, but you don't even know what schools are in the Ivy league, or where they are. That tells me that you haven't done basic research about colleges in this country. The fact that you are looking for cheap hotels (your new budget is also too low for New York) warns us that you may need financial aid, and the fact that you think only people who can't afford to leave their home country would need help in paying for college tells me, again, that you haven't done basic research into how much college costs here.

Also, if you read the answers you've gotten, you'll see that the car question has been answered at least twice now.

Edited: 18 April 2011, 11:40