We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discount Theater Tickets for Lion King-Thanksgiving

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Discount Theater Tickets for Lion King-Thanksgiving

We will be in NYC over Thanksgiving and was wondering if there is any chance of getting discount tickets at TKTS booth for The Lion King? Also, I am sure that it will be impossible, but are there any chances of getting them for Spiderman? In addition, is it possible to get discount tickets for The Rockettes Christmas Show. Thanks alot and keep traveling!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
507 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Discount Theater Tickets for Lion King-Thanksgiving

Discount tickets have not been and are not expected to be available to any performance of The Lion King. They sell 100 percent of their tickets at full price. They do not use the TKTS booths for their show.

Spiderman is currently temporarily closed and will reopen in previews. Keep an eye out for discount tickets at www.broadwaybox.com after it opens with its new restaging.

The Rockettes' Christmas Spectacular often has discount tickets available. Keep an eye out as the date gets closer.

Edited: 20 April 2011, 19:05
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
507 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Discount Theater Tickets for Lion King-Thanksgiving

Here is a useful link that keeps you up to date on the all the shows that were at the TKTS booths the prior week's performances and the amount of the discount. Helpful in estimating which shows are using the TKTS booths to sell their tickets and for which days/times.

http://www.entertainment-link.com/tkts.asp

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Discount Theater Tickets for Lion King-Thanksgiving

jeffinhouston, thanks for the head's up. Where do I look for the discount tickets for The Rockettes? Do they also use the TKTS booths? Thanks!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
507 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Discount Theater Tickets for Lion King-Thanksgiving

No, Radio City Music Hall doesn't use TKTS.

Sign up for their email newsletter and you will likely be emailed when they are available:

www.msginsider.com/radiocity/…

And do a search periodically for discount tickets for the show on Google and you will see when they are available.

new york
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Discount Theater Tickets for Lion King-Thanksgiving

I believe the Radio City discount tickets were also available for some performances on broadwaybox.com. Note that Thanksgiving weekend many shows don't discount because they sell at full price. The Lion King will not be discounted. Who knows about spiderman.

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Discount Theater Tickets for Lion King-Thanksgiving

Shows Thanksgiving Week are not discounted. Blackout dates.

Your only luck will be to wait in the lines at TKTS.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Discount Theater Tickets for Lion King-Thanksgiving

Monday & Tuesday of Thanksgiving week in 2010 & 2009 weren't all "blacked out" of the discount offers on broadwaybox and theatermania.com. Out-of-town family members purchased discounted tix in advance from those sources for, e.g., Next to Normal.

No guarantee of course that history will repeat itself in 2011.

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Discount Theater Tickets for Lion King-Thanksgiving

They were lucky. The discount codes I for the shows I have wanted to see have always mention not applicable for entire week of Thanksgiving.

Just as well since I avoid midtown during Thanksgiving week anyway. I remember going into the city in 2006 on Thanksgiving Day to meet a friend and seeing that there was almost nothing on the TKTS board.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
507 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Discount Theater Tickets for Lion King-Thanksgiving

Almost all Broadway shows are dark on Thanksgiving Day, which is why TKTS wouldn't have had much if anything.

Here is what the performance schedule was in 2010 during Thanksgiving week:

playbill.com/celebritybuzz/article/143580-Br…

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
919 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Discount Theater Tickets for Lion King-Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving weekend is one of Broadway's busiest weeks and typically most discounts are blacked out. Lion King has never been available at TKTS, nor have they offered discounts. Spiderman tickets are currently only available through the first week of October. Tickets For The Christmas Spectacular are currently on sale, but I've seen no discounts yet. Based on past years, there are sure to be some discounts offered closet to it opening in Nov. The Christmas Spectacular has been offered at TKTS in the past, and most likely will be again this year. You may want to go to their website and sign up for any exclusive offers for tickets.

www.msginsider.com/radiocitychristmas/…