We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York City Subways like or hate

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
47 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
New York City Subways like or hate

Do you find them hard to follow for an out of towner? I just recently came back from a visit a few days ago and found the subway as one of most funniest and interesting things to do in the big apple. We got lost on many occasions but seen several performances such as singing and dancing. I think the subway itself should be listed as one of the top things to do.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: New York City Subways like or hate

RE the west 4th street station, it is conviently located at West 3rd St, or at Waverly Place. I live nearby and daily I see tourists looking for the station. I've even written the MTA, and spoke with a friend who is kind of a biggie there, to say that they should at least but some sort of sigh up at W 4th directing people. It is a huge station, kind of the heart of the "B" division trains. (The B Division is a division of the New York City Subway, consisting of the lines operated with services designated by letters (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, J, L, M, N, Q, R and Z), in addition to the Franklin Avenue Shuttle and Rockaway Park Shuttle. These lines and services were operated by the Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit Corporation and city-owned Independent Subway System before the 1940 city takeover of the BMT)

Morris County, NJ
Level Contributor
698 posts
1,002 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: New York City Subways like or hate

I heavily recommend them. Growing up in NJ in the 1970's they were something I feared, due to the crime. Now I take them all the time when we go into the city. Get yourself a good map and a one day pass and you will understand how convenient they are.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,435 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: New York City Subways like or hate

Actually, Al-NYC, I am embarrassed to say that I got turned around *inside* the West 4th St station, trying to transfer from an uptown C train to an uptown D (or F) train. There were signs directing me to the lower level to catch the downtown train, but I walked the entire length of the platform and could not find any signage for the uptown train.

At some point I looked across to the other platform and saw the signs for the uptown train over there, so assumed I would need to exit the station and cross the street. I hurried topside (and you are right, the fact that the station is actually at West 3rd St and 6th Ave is a little confusing), but didn't see any other subway entrances.

The sign on the outside stairs didn't indicate a separate entrance for uptown vs downtown, so I went back into the station (thank goodness for the unlimited fare Metro card!), where I realized my mistake. The walkway makes a U turn just inside the fare gate to get to the other platform, and in my haste to get to the street I had missed that.

I wasn't in any particular hurry, so the delay didn't cost me anything but time. Fortunately, the next train was an express, so that made me feel a little better. :-)

-JimG

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: New York City Subways like or hate

Actually, the easiest way to transfer from the uptown to the downtown side at West 4th Street is by using the middle mezzanine that is found transversing the entire widthe of the station below the level of the Eighth Avenue trains, and above the level of the Sixth Avenue trains.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,435 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: New York City Subways like or hate

Good to know GreenWhiteBlue, and I will keep in mind for a future visit.

I'm curious - if the platforms are connected by a mezzanine, it should not make any difference which side you use to go between levels. So why doesn't the signage indicate both uptown and/or downtown, with directions to the specific platform once you get there (or maybe it does and I just missed it?)

It's moot now of course - just wondering.

-JimG

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: New York City Subways like or hate

Only toursits could love the subway!

I would say one of the highlights a New Yorker would not say "That train ride to work was wonderful. I think I skip going to work today and just ride the New York Subway today!"

If you only have been on the subway in Manhattan you really do not know anything about the subway. The Manhattan line is easy as many of the lines go up or down

Bill

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: New York City Subways like or hate

Bill_from_NYC - You just don't get it. When you live in a city where public transportation stops before 11pm, and then you have to rely on expensive taxis, then you may start to realise why the NYC subway is so good.

I've had to arrange a lift after a show on Saturday night, or I'd be paying upwards of $50 a taxi home. Even if public transportation ran, I'd still have be 6 miles away from where I live.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,435 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: New York City Subways like or hate

I have to agree with M4RKM - NYC subways are awesome, and you all have no idea how fortunate you are to have them. There is so much history and culture there; I could easily spend a day just riding around on the subways, exploring the stations, looking at the mosaics, etc. I think the subway system is a quintessential feature of New York as a city and probably one of its most defining characteristics. It is an engineering marvel - ranks right up there with the Statue of Lberty, Empire State Building, etc.

-JimG

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,150 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: New York City Subways like or hate

You know something? Tonight I was waiting at a Metro station here in DC and said to my husband, "You don't see any rats on the trackbeds on Metro but I'll take the NYC subway system any day over Metro!" He agreed with me.

Yes, Metro is newer and cleaner but also more expensive. Plus there is no flat rate fare. Fares vary depending on how far you are going and at what time of day. Also, you don't get the same coverage regarding the number of subway lines, as you do in NYC. It would be nice to have express and local trains on Metro but it will never happen because there isn't any room for more tracks on each line.

Bill_from_NYC --- I don't think anyone who lives in any city in the world that has a subway system would say that they are going to take the day off just to ride the subway. When we visit NYC, we certainly don't spend all day trying to ride as many trains as possible. However, for what it costs to ride the NYC subway, it's truly a bargain.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: New York City Subways like or hate

As for "organized" subway entertainment (by audition):

http://www.mta.info/mta/aft/muny/

www.mta.info/mta/aft/muny/musicians.html

There is usually something going on at Grand Central Station shuttle line, Times Square station near the music shop (between shuttle and 1,2,3 lines) and at Columbus Circle platform.

Then, the "unjuried":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey8Ui63VgHs

www.youtube.com/watch…

www.youtube.com/watch…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVeqNuHcb-I

Also It helps to understand that NYC subways are a bit illogical because they were originally 3 competing lines (IRT, BMT and IND). I still call them by those names, lots of old timers seem to. It's what I know. I do try to remember 1, 2, 3, or 4, 5 and then the "letters" (A, B, F, G, etc.)And NEVER colors. I don't know one color from another, this system makes no sense to me (unless I am in Washington DC). Dead giveaway as tourist it to ask about colors.