We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm confused with reading subway lines on maps

Australia
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
I'm confused with reading subway lines on maps

I'm looking on Google maps and the 34 St- Herald Sq Subway Station has next to it [N,Q,R] on the map. Initially i thought these are the lines that go pass that station, but when i went to the mta site and checked the station, I also noticed D,F,M next to the station on the B line map

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/bline.htm

I'm a bit confused now, does this mean the lines N,Q,R,D,F,M and B passes through this station?

Jefferson City...
Level Contributor
246 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: I'm confused with reading subway lines on maps

Concerning the free iPhone Subway app.... which one? I searched NYC subway on my iPhone App store and there are several different free ones. I didn't see any that stated anything about entering your destination for step-by-step subway directions. Maybe I'm not seeing it. Or maybe it is not free anymore? I didn't read the descriptions of the ones that cost $.

Thanks! Going to be in NYC for 4 days in June.

Sandi

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
507 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: I'm confused with reading subway lines on maps

Download the Hopstop app. It does what you are wanting to do.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: I'm confused with reading subway lines on maps

If I had a dime for every traveler left by a set of subway stairs staring at their hand held device and having no idea where they were going I would be a rich man. Just study a map before you get here and have a general sense of up town and down town and you will never be too far off and then ask a local/

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,866 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: I'm confused with reading subway lines on maps

The mobile device apps are only good for planning out an exact route ahead of time. They are completely useless for "dynamic" travel, as you will not get a signal in the subway passages. I downloaded HopStop for the Droid, but never used it the entire time I was in NY.

The best reference if you have a smartphone is the free PDF maps from the MTA website:

www.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

www.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf

Save them to the data card in your phone and then you can view them anywhere. I found them indispensable.

And don't worry about timing - the trains and buses are frequent enough that you can just wait at the station or stop for the next one. It rarely takes more than few minutes for something to come along

-JimG

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: I'm confused with reading subway lines on maps

Idnas, I use the free iTrans NYC map. It doesn't have routing, but it is a good map that doesn't require a data connection. Another free map-only option is KickMap Lite. I also have, but have not used yet, the New York City Subway Map app. The icon is a red circle with a white subway car on it. It is free and does allow you to determine a route. As already mentioned, HopStop is a good option, too. Their iPhone app is free but requires a connection and will not work in the actual subways. That is why it is best to plan your route ahead of time. It is really simple to navigate. Just know the train that you need and if you need to go Uptown or Downtown.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: I'm confused with reading subway lines on maps

We found that many/most of the stations still have an actual person in a booth selling tickets and adding fares to them. There may be a short line to speak to someone at some stations, but they're really pretty helpful folks. "How do I get to...?" works fine.

Also, many hotels give out free, handy, pocket-sized maps with the subway lines imposed over the street map.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: I'm confused with reading subway lines on maps

The iTrans Free map is about 3 versions out of date. There is only a paid for version now which costs money.

However, I agree with people and just using PDF's. Any SmartPhone you can get a PDF Reader, for iPhone, there is an app specifically for maps, which is called Transit Maps, it is free, and you can download maps into there.

I have London Underground, NYC Subway, and Manhattan and Brooklyn bus maps in my TransitMaps collection. I also am a stickler for wanting my own routes. Some times these things will route you all the way on a local train, whereas I know I can get an express, and just cross over the tracks to do the last bit on a local, thus saving time (if things work out correctly). It is always good fun that.

M

Australia
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: I'm confused with reading subway lines on maps

Thanks all, I think I'm on he right track but google maps got me confused.

Not bringing my iPhone when I'm there, one less thing to carry and worry about. The paper maps will have to do.

19. Re: I'm confused with reading subway lines on maps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 07:15