We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into NYC for Sept 11 Ten Year Anniversary

stillwater
Level Contributor
161 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Flying into NYC for Sept 11 Ten Year Anniversary

I am accompanying my sister on a trip to NYC over the 09/11/11 weekend. She is singing in a mass choir at Lincoln Center. She has never been to NYC and I have been several times. I know the city will be BUSY and there will be LOTS of additional security. So I'm thinking it would be easiest to fly into EWR and use public transportation to get into Manhattan, rather than flying into JFK or LGA and trying to take a taxi. I know I can use public transportation from either JFK or LGA also, but I am quite familiar with getting from EWR to Manhattan. With the added security and possible road closures, etc. I'm assuming public transportation is the way to go from any airport. Is my thinking right here? Any suggestions? Our hotel is easy walking distance from both the Port Authority Bus Terminal and Penn Station. Thanks for our help!

Revolution Rickshaws
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
NYC Airporter
Taxis & Shuttles, Bus Transportation
New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying into NYC for Sept 11 Ten Year Anniversary

Are you flying on 9/11?

I don't think that it would be easier or harder from any of the 3 airports, except they might close the Holland Tunnel making EWR worse. I'd just fly into JFK take the airtrain to Jamaica, then the E train to the Port Authority or Penn, whichever is closer to your hotel.

If you choose EWR then airtrain to NJ transit to Penn would be my guess.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,562 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying into NYC for Sept 11 Ten Year Anniversary

I don't know where you read about possible road closures - can you say where you saw that information? Also, I suggest you catch the flight that has the best price for you and schedule.

stillwater
Level Contributor
161 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying into NYC for Sept 11 Ten Year Anniversary

I have not heard any specific information about road closures. I'm just making an assumption that with added security and the possible presence of the President, there might be some road closures or detours. In any case, I'm also assuming that traffic will be snarled so public transportation is the way to go. Is that assumption correct?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,562 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying into NYC for Sept 11 Ten Year Anniversary

No way to know at this point. I haven't yet read anything about what will/will not be happening that day and around the "annniversary."

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying into NYC for Sept 11 Ten Year Anniversary

Any security measures will be completely arbitrary and designed to inconvenience as many innocent people as possible, so I would stay out of lower Manhattan if possible. In past years it has started getting crazy the weekend before which is when I try to leave town for the duration, so this is based on second-hand reports from neighbors. Above Canal Street things will probably be business as usual.

There will be more information closer to the date.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying into NYC for Sept 11 Ten Year Anniversary

Like the President will be there...please don't hold your breath!

Edited: 27 April 2011, 01:35
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,562 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying into NYC for Sept 11 Ten Year Anniversary

I think it is very likely he will be here as well as making an appearance at the Pentagon.

This is a different President after all - the one we had at the time didn't bother to appear for a number of days....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying into NYC for Sept 11 Ten Year Anniversary

Keep partisan opinion/potshots out of this, please, Microcell. We New Yorkers have seen way too many people -- of all political persuasions -- seek to "make hay" out of the events of that day for their own purposes.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying into NYC for Sept 11 Ten Year Anniversary

uh oh

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying into NYC for Sept 11 Ten Year Anniversary

"uh oh"

There's no reason to "uh oh" anything, as most people have the good sense not to troll in regard to an event like September 11th. If anyone lacks that sense, heaven help us all.