We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ditching Travel companions ~ Moral Dilemma?

niagara falls canada
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Topic
Ditching Travel companions ~ Moral Dilemma?

I really want to see The Normal Heart on the Sat. matinee during my upcoming trip to NYC with the girls.

My travel partners do not want to go ~ for various reasons. Ok, I respect that. Is it wrong of me to ditch them so I can attend?

The trip is a Christmas gift to my sister from her husband. She chose me and our cousin to go with her ~ all gifted from her hubby.

If I was paying my own way for the trip, I would not hesitate to leave them for a few hours so I could attend the play. I am getting conflicting advice here at home.

So, off to the experts I say, *grinning*

What would you do? and if going to the show was what you decided, how would you go about telling your travel companions?

Looking forward to your replies, this could be fun.

Thanks, Lena

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,607 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ditching Travel companions ~ Moral Dilemma?

I do this all the time, with friends and family. Arrange that morning you can all "do your own thing" and do it. It is rare that everyone wants to the same thing, when it is family we often split up as that way we get more done and everyone is happy.

I don't see it as a moral dilemma, just smart use of time in a great city.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,111 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ditching Travel companions ~ Moral Dilemma?

Have you asked them directly if they would mind? Those are the only two people I would be asking.

Edited: 30 April 2011, 17:28
niagara falls canada
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ditching Travel companions ~ Moral Dilemma?

Have I asked them directly? Well, we did discuss going to the show. They know this is a play I would love to see. I know they do not want to. The discussion moved on from there, and it wasn't until later at home that I thought of going on my own.

You are right MomCat, I should just ask them directly.

London, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ditching Travel companions ~ Moral Dilemma?

Hi there

Yes ask them, and as others have said when on holiday you cannot all do the same activities with the same enthusiasm especially in a place like NYC.

Arrange to meet up with them after for dinner/cocktails etc

Have fun :)

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ditching Travel companions ~ Moral Dilemma?

I totally agree with Momcat...you should simply ask your friends...personally, I wouldn't mind if this happens, but I also know a lot of people reckon travelling together means you should be doing everything together...

and as you say, if you'd be paying your own way, it would be more your decision....giving the circumstances, I think your sister's feelings are important to include in the equation....

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ditching Travel companions ~ Moral Dilemma?

Maybe there is a play they would like to see at the same time.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,594 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ditching Travel companions ~ Moral Dilemma?

Given that this is a gift to your sister, and that her husband is treating you, to me her feelings would be paramount. If there was even a chance that I might causeher any distresss, I wouldn't go to the show. No play is worth that.

niagara falls canada
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ditching Travel companions ~ Moral Dilemma?

Thanks for the replies to my query.

You guys are right, her feelings are paramount. I knew that asking the question, hence the moral dilemma. I may mention the play once again to her, in hopes that it opens up the conversation. Yet again, I may just let this one stay sleeping. I guess I need to trust my gut... there has to be a reason I am hesitant to broach the subject.

Wise words from Andee.. No play is worth that.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ditching Travel companions ~ Moral Dilemma?

You know your sister and cousin better than we do. How long are you there? If it's just a weekend, then maybe it's an "all stay together" occasion. If it's longer, maybe they wouldn't mind seeing another show while you go to yours. I know I wouldn't, but I'm not in your group :-)

NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ditching Travel companions ~ Moral Dilemma?

Just a word

I saw the Normal Heart in previews

It left me shaken

I could not believe how intense it was

I am glad I saw but I am not sure

I think about it a lot

Oh well

If you like theatre you will like the play for sure

It was better than War Horse, which I adored

That is really saying a lot