We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hop On Hop Off Bus

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
298 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Hop On Hop Off Bus

Hi, has anybody used the bus for touring new york?

The link below shows the price $49 each and wondered if it was too good to be true?

www.citysightsny.com/tourpage.php?item=AAT

Thanks

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hop On Hop Off Bus

It is a legitimate company and if this is your first visit and you want an overview before visiting specific areas and places this is not a bad way to orient yourself.

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
298 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hop On Hop Off Bus

thanks for the reply

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hop On Hop Off Bus

I don't recommend those buses. NYC is best seen from the ground. You'll orient yourself much better with a map on foot.

rhyl, north wales
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hop On Hop Off Bus

On our first trip to nyc we used greyline bus tours and found them to be quite good tbh but we now find the subway a easier and much quicker way to get around the city,

Darren

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
78 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hop On Hop Off Bus

I'm in town right now and definitely recommend *against* getting a bus tour. For one thing, the buses have to fend with traffic just like everyone else in NYC during the day, and the traffic is pretty obnoxious. For another, as others have said, it's best experienced on the ground and if you get on a good tour like Real NYC Tours, they'll actually teach you how to use the subway as part of the whole thing, and that will make the rest of your trip that much easier and fun.

If you absolutely can't walk for 6 hours, then I guess a bus would be fine, but again, NYC is a pedestrian's city, so be warned.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,169 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hop On Hop Off Bus

The bus is fine to ride for one loop, to get yourself oriented if you find that sort of thing useful, but none of the regulars here will recommend them for general transportation. It can be a low key way to spend part of your first day, especially if you're jet lagged. Definitely use the subway and walk for getting around after your loop.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,287 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hop On Hop Off Bus

Brooklyn Bridge said it properly. Use the bus as a way of seeing what the city has to offer. Get on and don't get off until you've done the full loop. Then, travel as real New Yorkers travel--by subway, bus and foot. Do not use the hop on hop off as transportation. It isn't!

Johnny- while you get a better feel while walking, you just can't cover as much ground as the bus can.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hop On Hop Off Bus

I work as a tour guide at Grayline and I agree with the others. It is fine for an overview but you will enjoy it more if you do your homework and learn about subways and buses and have a MetroCard in your hand when you board your first HOHO. That way, when the bus isn't going where you want to go when you want to go, you'll know what to do next without spending a fortune on taxis.

I am addicted to the view up there.

…typepad.com/explorenyc/…

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
298 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hop On Hop Off Bus

One of the reasons we thought about booking it is the extras it included.

72 hour hoho service

night tour

brooklyn tour

90 minute Harbour cruise

Empire State observatry ticket

All for $82

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,519 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hop On Hop Off Bus

The subway the best way to get around i do it all the time when i visit the city.