We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sweet 16 in NYC

bel air, md
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sweet 16 in NYC

I'm taking my daughter and her best friend to NYC for my daughter's Sweet 16 on May 13-14 (just one night). Any suggestions for hotels? I'd love to find a great deal on a great hotel in a great location.

I'd like to get them to the Statue of Liberty, possibly take in a show, shop, eat, shop, and eat. I read a review here that suggested Earrings Plaza for "cheap" jewelry and Ricky's Cosmetics or Sephora for makeovers. Are these good ideas? Any other suggestions to make this a special trip for my daughter?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sweet 16 in NYC

Deals won't be available until closer to the date. Book something refundable for now. I'd choose a lively neighborhood. Time Square us fine if you don't mind touristy, but for more charm I'd recommend downtown like Thompson LES or The Bowery. What's your budget?

Sephora is a chain. I'd pick something more unique. Does she like sweets? Maybe a sweets tour...maybe a spa day? What is she into?

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sweet 16 in NYC

Hola.

We can recommend the Hotel Giraffe, 365 Park Avenue South (at 26th Street). This hotel is a boutique-gem and in a great location that is within walking distance to Chelsea (to the west), midtown and Times Square (to the north) and Union Square and the “Village” (to the south).

For more information, see:

http://www.hotelgiraffe.com/

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,728 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sweet 16 in NYC

May 13 is just around the corner, a pricey night and there aren't imo going to be many deals. You need to provide a lot more info for us to help. What sort of hotel budget do you have in mind and what kind of hotel/accommodation do you want? A suite? A regular room with 2 beds? Are you driving? Do you need parking? What do you consider a great location?

Actually going TO the Statue of Liberty is a time consuming endeavor and requires booking tickets in advance on

statuecruises.com

If you just want to see the statue from the water, the free Staten island ferry or one of the cruises that goes near it but doesn't stop at the Statue is a faster option.

goldstar.com

sometimes has nice discounts for some of the nicer cruises.

The earrings plaza is a cheap place for lots of costume jewelry if that's what they're into. I think a makeover at Sephora is a fun idea esp. if you don't have a Sephora near you. What about a man/pedicure? Are you planning on spending 2 days b/c your list of to dos is really too much for 1 day.

For a show, you can buy discount tickets from the left column of broadwaybox.com

for a lot of shows.

nyc
Level Contributor
319 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sweet 16 in NYC

My daughter just went to a 16th birthday party where the group did a nighttime cruise with dinner, and they seemed to all really enjoy it.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sweet 16 in NYC

But this is only 2 girls and a Mom not a whole big magilla--- the fact that it is a sweet 16 is really secondary.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sweet 16 in NYC

lwalzy, let's first get you squared away on a hotel. That weekend is a time of, e.g., college/university graduations, the end of the Contemporary Furniture Fair and the kickoff of the National Stationery Show at the Javits Center. So, it's not as if there's wide-spread availability of rooms for 3-4 people at this point & hotel rates may be higher than you are hoping for.

So depending on your budget, you might decide to postpone the trip or at least whittle back on how much you're prepared to spend on things besides the hotel room.

What are you comfortable spending on a room for the night of May 13? "A great deal" means different things to different people ;-) fyi, hotel taxes add about 15% to the base rates you see quoted.

bel air, md
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sweet 16 in NYC

Thanks for all of your suggestions! Finally booked the hotel... we'll be staying at the Millennium Broadway Hotel on West 44th St. The location looks good... Times Square/Theater District??

I want them to shop and see some sites in our short 24 hour (approx) stay. Looking to get makeovers at Sephora or Rickys, shop at Earrings Plaza for "junk" jewelry, see the World Trade Center and the Statue of Liberty (boat tour?). Not sure if we'll see a show; we'll see if discount tickets are available as we get closer. Any chance to see a Letterman, MTV, etc. taping??

What are we missing? Would love some recommendations for restaurants. The girls are picky... they love appetizers, chicken nuggets, and Japanese food. Nothing fancy.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sweet 16 in NYC

For Japanese and a fun place, consider the Ninja New York. It's definitely unique, but not cheap: www.ninjanewyork.com

Of course, you can also take them to Gyu-Kaku for Japanese. It's a chain though. But it sounds like their palates are not that "unique". :) Chicken nuggets?

What kind of appetizers?

Also, how about The Meatball Shop? Or The Smith?

Edited: 05 May 2011, 16:36
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sweet 16 in NYC

MTV is no more---- Letterman go on that website and see if there are tapings and put in for tickets--- I often see interns outside the theater and vicinity talking to people about attending. They usually have blue CBS shirts on and are carrying clipboards.. they will ask a few questions about the show to see if you are really fans. might be worth a walk by if you can't score tickets in advance.

bel air, md
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sweet 16 in NYC

The Meatball Shop looks fun! That's the sort of thing we're looking for. I'll try to check out The Smith. Thanks!