We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Department Stores

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Department Stores

Any advice on reasonably priced Department Stores selling clothing, shoes...more so for my 18 year old who is travelling with me. Obviously avoiding designer shops etc...or Bllomingdales and the like. Cheers :)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,823 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Department Stores

I think Bloomingdale's IS a reasonably priced department store. Macy's is another one. If you're actually looking for discount designer shopping, Century 21 is a popular location, as are Nordstrom Rack, Filene's Basement and DSW, all three of which are in Union Square.

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Department Stores

Century 21 is a good one and luckily it was beside our hotel next to the World Trade Centre.

here's the link

frommers.com/destinations/…S31165.html

It's quite nice to look in Bloomingdales and Macys though.

I'm sure locals will have lots more ideas.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,698 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Department Stores

Hollister and American Eagle are two stores that a lot of American teens shop in. They have definitely been my son's favorites all the way through high school and now into college. The tee shirts in both stores hold up really well and are extremely soft. And, of course, they also carry girls' clothing.

Yellow Rat B**tard also carries interesting clothing for guys and girls.

http://www.yrbnyc.com/

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Department Stores

Hola.

In addition to the stores suggested above which have OK prices and a lot of brand recognition, we highly recommend:

Gabay's (1st Avenue near E.13th Street) that provides 50-80% discounts on overstocks from Bendel’s and Bergdorf’s and other high-end stores.

Another of our favorites is Scoop in the Meatpacking District on Washington Street between W.13th and 14th Streets. Of all the Scoop locations, we like this one the best.

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Department Stores

Macy's and Bloomie's regularly have sales/every week there is some different promotion.

'These are not - hoity toity stores - they have branches all over the US selling merch for the common folk

Not sure where you got the idea that Bloomie's is just designer stuff, not so.

So, shop in the knowledge you are getting reliable merchandise at reasonable prices.

Poppa

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Department Stores

Thanx for the reply. The store you mentioned Yellow Rat B is the sort of store we are looking for! Cheers.

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Department Stores

Thanx to everyone for their replies! :)

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Department Stores

Macy*s, Bloomingdale's and Lord & Taylor offer a discount card (about 10%) that is good on about 1/2 the items in the store for out of town guests. There are a lot of restrictions, notably cosmetics and housewares, but it's free. Also, while I often shop at both I would never buy anything at either unless it is on sale.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Department Stores

Hi

My daughter loved forever 21, Top shop and H & M. There are various stores locations. The prices are really reasonable like 15- 29 per dress.

It could be cheaper if it's discounted item which she bought a lot as Perth is one season behind. Yes we are from Perth. Spend 2 weeks in NY over Christmas! You and your daughter will love the shopping there.

Buy extra luggage there. Everything seems so cheap because of the our strong dollars. We were a bit lost in Macey as it is huge and long queue in the changing room. Century 21 sells the discounted designer clothes, they can still be expensive even discounted and the fashion might not appear to the teen agers,

Have a great trip!

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Department Stores

Thanks for your reply! I have experienced Forever 21 when we went to Tokyo...and I love H & M.....I used to live in Perth Australia, Embleton to be exact! Anyway, thanks again....and I am sure it will be shopping heaven!