We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does anyone know about "The Brandon Residence For Women?"

Taipei, Taiwan
6 posts
Save Topic
Does anyone know about "The Brandon Residence For Women?"

Hi to anyone who is reading this msg:

I'm looking for a suitable residence to stay in NY as I plan to have a two-month summer study there. I need any opinions about this residence: http://www.thebrandon.org/ (especially those who stayed in this place before)

Or, you're more than welcome to suggest any suitable place for my short stay in NY this summer,2011 (better near Columbia University and with reasonable price from 900 to 1500 monthly)

Thanx!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Does anyone know about "The Brandon Residence For Women?"

but is it clean?

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Does anyone know about "The Brandon Residence For Women?"

To MonizeMPM,

Hi, pls could you tell us who is/was your experience at this residence? is clean? how is food, schedule for dinner? security in your room? TV or wifi inside bedrooms? Air conditioner?

I'm planning to stay almost 2 months at the residence, I know that is very cheap and with a great location, but I need more fresh information to make a decision.

Thanks in advance for your help! ;-)

Gris

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Does anyone know about "The Brandon Residence For Women?"

Several points. Yes, men do live at the Brandon. Not only are there male staff who have access to the residence floors and who do not usually announce their arrival as they are supposed to but there are men involved in a 12 step recovery program who work in the dining area and live in the basement. Those men also "fill in" at the front desk and have access to what is recorded on the security cameras. I learned this when one of the male residents made a creepy comment about seeing me on the camera at 4:00 a.m. Given that there is a camera on at least one of the floors (the 8th) that can record femaile residents on their way to the showers/washroom (in whatever state of dress that might be at night) and residents are not told abut this camera, the situation is a little creepy. Moreover, not all of the male residents adhere to recovery program guidelines. At least one arrest occurred during my stay at the Brandon.

Second, it is probable that more than magazines are removed from the mail. My bank card was stolen. Although it might not have been Brandon staff, the fact that the thief called my temporary room at the Brandon and not my cell phone or my permanent room, both of which were the only contact points on the banking documents suggest an inside operation. The thief asked for my PIN number which I did not give. I'm quite sure that I recognize the voice as one of the regular front desk people who worked at the Brandon.

Next, Brandon staff are NOT volunteers but paid employees. The place is run by Volunteers of America but it is not staffed by volunteers.

As for cleanliness, I would not give it top marks. Bathrooms are only cleaned M-F and not always those days. Several older long term residents dig through garbage and at least one has been caught urinating on the floor and not calling to have the mess properly cleaned up. As would be expected, one of the rooms that I stayed in (it is common to be bounced from room to room) had cockroaches.

Bear in mind that the women digging through garbage are also grabbing flatware from the same container that you will take your flatware from in the dining area. Hardly appetizing but then neither are the dirty dishes food is served in or the fact that the servers wear the same gloves they serve with when they leave the serving line and go to the washroom.

Yes, the naked neighbor mentioned in the earlier post does exist and is still flaunting her geriatric body. TMI on how the female body ages! Additionally, some of the other long term residents are difficult personalities. During my stay, I was yelled at for using someone's shower, uisng someone's personal toilet and using the paper towel dispenser to dry my hands. At least some of the long term residents do not like sharing space and are very territorial about what they consider their space.

As would be expected, I do not recommend staying at the Brandon. It is a wonderful neighborhood but a poorly run, unclean place with several long term residents who would appear to have serious mental health issues.

I stayed there in 2012.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Does anyone know about "The Brandon Residence For Women?"

Having stayed at the Brandon and hearing numerous stories about difficulties getting securities deposits back, I want to provide the following information.

If your security deposit is not returned timely and you have sent a couple of demand letters contact the Attorney General in Harlem at 163 W 125th Street New York 10027 212-961-4475. They will send you a complaint form to fill out and mail back to them. Then the Attorney General can fight it out with Volunteers of America.

Sadly, I like so many others had difficulties getting my security deposit back. The Brandon refused to disclose what charges they added to by rent and refuses return the full amount. I would not recommend this place to anyone, not even someone that I disliked.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: Does anyone know about "The Brandon Residence For Women?"

If you want to work a full-time job and need sleep- forget it. The "long-term" elderly residents flush toilets incessantly for no reason and yell outside your door (often to themselves in foeign languages) at midnight and beyond, despite 11pm quiet hours...and expect to be bullied in the shared bathrooms by these grey haired terrors for using "their" sink even though you were using it before they came in...and expect no privacy and "men on floor" in the bathrooms at any moment ...in a sense: YUK

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Does anyone know about "The Brandon Residence For Women?"

If you want to work a full-time job and need sleep- forget it. The "long-term" elderly residents flush toilets incessantly for no reason and yell outside your door (often to themselves in foreign languages) at midnight and beyond, despite 11pm quiet hours...and expect to be bullied in the shared bathrooms by these grey haired terrors for using "their" sink even though you were using it before they came in...and expect no privacy and "men on floor" in the bathrooms at any moment ...in a sense: YUCK and a rip-off

Edited: 18 March 2013, 16:57
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Does anyone know about "The Brandon Residence For Women?"

Me hospedei por mais de um mes na Brandon, e realmente só tenho motivos para elogiar,

Inicialmente vamos considerar que sao voluntarias que em 1953 criaram esta residemcia com a finalidade de hospedar mulheres que vinham a nova iorque com finalidades distintas, quais sejam, estudar, trabalhar etc..de forma segura.

E que a diaria com direito a cafe da manha e lanche a noite, a menos de 50 dolares em nova iorque nao existe.

O predio é antigo, porem bem cuidado.

Ha limpesa semanal e roupas de cama.

O quarto e individual, porem banheiros sao 2 por andar com 2 ou 3 chuveiros individuais( limpissimos) p 25 quartos.ha um espelho enorme em cada pia( 2)

Nao tive o menor problema.

Temos a disposicao tambem uma cozinha completa no 8o andar.

Maquinas de lavar roupa q funcionam c fichas compradas( tem um tanque).

O que faltou foi um ar refrigerado, pois fui no verao e assei dentro do quarto.

Nao tem cheiro de mofo.

Todos os funcionario sao educados e gentis e a administradora uma pessoa muito agradavel.

Na entrada tem uma sala com piano onde 1 vez por semana rola um saral.

A internet e meio fraca e nao tem wifi.

Tem uma biblioteca onde se pode pegar emprestado.

O bairro e maravilhoso e o metro fica a 2 pequenos quarteiroes.

Encontramos tambem muitos mercados, delis, restaurantes, lanchonetes e grifes.

O difiicil é ser aprovado para ser hospedes deles.

É grande a exigencia em relacao a documentos comprobatorios.

Mas vale muito a pena!!!

Fiz boas amizades e retornarei tao logo possa

Facebook:

Mannia Ebrenz

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
38. Re: Does anyone know about "The Brandon Residence For Women?"

I was not aware there was no air conditioning in the rooms which made it almost unbearable when it gets into the 90s during the day... didn't stay in the room much but the time there was miserable. Great location, people are nice enough but I prefer not to sweat constantly, especially when trying to sleep. This would be a great place for any season but summer !!!

Sydney, New South...
2 posts
Save Reply
39. Re: Does anyone know about "The Brandon Residence For Women?"

I booked 5 week accommodation at the Brandon 6 months in advance and they cancelled my booking (after paying over a grand in security deposit and application fees), only to cancel my spot just ONE MONTH before my trip.

Communication was very poor- it took them weeks to reply to my emails.

Because I am traveling from Australia- I also made multiple international calls and sent numerous emails to verify that there were no foreseeable issues prior to their cancellation.

They left my plans in an absolute mess, and searching for alternative accommodation was a mission.

Last but not least- the cheque refunds they sent me took WEEKS for them to process and I waited additional time to receive them by air mail. They also sent my refund back in two separate cheques, which meant that I had to pay two separate processing fees to my bank.

Dealing with the Brandon residence has been a huge inconvenience and waste of time. Their administration and organization is highly unprofessional.

Save yourself the stress!

Sydney, New South...
2 posts
Save Reply
40. Re: Does anyone know about "The Brandon Residence For Women?"

I booked 5 week accommodation at the Brandon 6 months in advance and they cancelled my booking (after paying over a grand in security deposit and application fees), only to cancel my spot just ONE MONTH before my trip.

Communication was very poor- it took them weeks to reply to my emails.

Because I am traveling from Sydney, Australia- I also made multiple international calls and sent numerous emails to verify that there were no foreseeable issues prior to their cancellation.

They left my plans in an absolute mess, and searching for alternative accommodation was a mission.

Last but not least- the cheque refunds they sent me took WEEKS for them to process and I waited additional time to receive them by air mail. They also sent my refund back in two separate cheques, which meant that I had to pay two separate processing fees to my bank.

Dealing with the Brandon residence has been a huge inconvenience and waste of time. Their administration and organization is highly unprofessional.