We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Special occasion restaurant - end of May

England
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Special occasion restaurant - end of May

I am looking for a restaurant for dinner to celebrate a special wedding anniversary. I've been reading suggestions on this forum but am now completely overwhelmed by choice and not sure what sort of place would best suit us. Can you help please?!

I am after a place with great food and service (not too stuffy but don't mind some formality), price isn't an issue for this one night and we would prefer not to be rushed. Happy with 3 course or tasting menu. We're staying near Bryant Park but don't mind travel. The last time we we visited we had a good steak meal at The Strip House and a lovely evening at The River Cafe.

All suggestions welcome.

Kind regards

Sonia

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Special occasion restaurant - end of May

The choices are many and you will hear about them all--- I will give you just one Daniel--- but as I said as many responses as you get that is how many different answers you will get and many of them will be right--

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Special occasion restaurant - end of May

Hola.

Our favorite place to celebrate an important event, especially with friends, is the Gramercy Tavern; it is a community “institution” with a tremendous LOCAL following at 42 East 20th Street and has excellent food and great wines, and even better beers. The tavern is more informal, but the restaurant is a bit more “classy” and both have an air of comfort. For more information, see:

http://www.gramercytavern.com

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

England
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Special occasion restaurant - end of May

Thanks to you both - appreciate it! Will take a good look at the suggestions and see what's available.

Sonia

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,995 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Special occasion restaurant - end of May

I'll add Le Bernardin, a bit closer to your hotel and known as the best seafood/French restaurant in the city if not the country. Just a heads up that the end of May (27-30) is our bank holiday weekend, Memorial Day. Some restaurants will close on the Sunday and Monday of that weekend.

Do you know about

opentable.com

where you can book a lot of restaurants?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,224 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Special occasion restaurant - end of May

The Modern - the dining room, not the bar room

Adour (Ducasse)

Marea

Gilt in the Palace Hotel

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
564 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Special occasion restaurant - end of May

If it turns out you are interested in Le Bernardin, I made reservations yesterday, and the soonest available was May 31, 2011 at 5:30 p.m.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Special occasion restaurant - end of May

Adour is relatively stuffy.

Also consider:

Eleven Madison Park

River Cafe (Brooklyn, but great views)

Jean Georges

8. Re: Special occasion restaurant - end of May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 19:18