We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day & Night out in NYC

England
5 posts
Save Topic
Day & Night out in NYC

Myself and a group of friends are travelling to New York in June, for my best friends wedding. As part of this we'll be going out for a day of partying. Our plan is to start with a nice breakfast with a view, preferabbly one with a view across the city? Any recomendations for that first of all?

After this civilised start, things may take a turn for the worse. Where Is the best single area for grouped bars, so we can cab it once to an area and stay there from afternoon to late night? A variety of smart and slightly less smart places is what we're after.!

Obvioulsy planning this from London is TOUGH, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day & Night out in NYC

If you want high end with guestlists and hassle at the door, that would be Meatpacking district (i.e. Cielo, The Standard, etc). There are some more accessible places in that area like the Brass Monkey.

If you want an experience with less hassle, head to the East Village/LES area - the neighborhood with the biggest concentration of bars in the US. Head somewhere around Ludlow or Avenue A or First Avenue or 2nd Ave or 14th Street. There are multiple places on every blocks here. There are some more high end places too like Hotel on Rivington, Thompson LES etc.

For breakfast...how many people? How important is the view? Most good breakfast places are small. For lunch and dinner, there are more trendy options with views like the River Cafe. You can consider just a regular trendy place for bunch without a view such as Schiller's or The Smith.

Edited: 03 May 2011, 23:27
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day & Night out in NYC

Hey Benthompson:-) As far as breakfast 'with a view', unless you're staying at a property that offers a breakfast room on a high floor/balcony..or are willing to travel accross the River, you may find it difficult since most places usually start service for lunch/brunch which can, at times, be as early as 11-11:30a! Best..and EnjOY!

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,093 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day & Night out in NYC

THE Breakfast with the absolute best view in Manhattan-

mandarinoriental.com/newyork/dining/asiate/

when you get reservations - request a window seat (say your travelling from far away- Very special occasion- it is your friends wedding etc...)

The previous places mentioned are really night spots. In the Afternoon you could try Bleeker St. between 6th Ave and Laguardia Pl. There is a large cluster of Bars in that 3 blocks and some are open in the afternoon.

If it is a weekend you could head out to Williamsburg (first stop in Brooklyn) and try this for afternoon fun-

http://www.brooklynbowl.com/info

Here are some calendars that may help-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i22937-NYC_nigh…

Hey- have fun!

Edited: 04 May 2011, 04:04
New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,093 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day & Night out in NYC

Hey just for general trip planning here are some other tips-

Food-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23075-Best_NYC…

and

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23076-Cheap_Ea…

Sites

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23092-Most_Com…

Enjoy!

England
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day & Night out in NYC

Thanks for all of these replies, more than I could have hoped for, so its a brilliant start for me!! Planning a stag do from 5000 miles away is pretty tricky!!!

6. Re: Day & Night out in NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 18:18