We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi tipping?

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
306 posts
223 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi tipping?

Planning on getting a taxi from JFK to midtown Manhatten since I understand it is a flat fee service of $45 + one toll + tip. Is that correct?

Originally I was thinking of a car service but that has some wait time restrictions and with the way flights are these days I did not want to worry about us being a late arrival for our pick-up.

I noticed on all the car service sites that a 20% tip is expected - is that also the typical tip % for a taxi?

Thanks and appreciate any taxi travel tips for our first time NYC experience.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi tipping?

Here is the guide to tipping.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c71510/New-Yor…

There might be a section in your guidebook addressing it also

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,606 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi tipping?

"Originally I was thinking of a car service but that has some wait time restrictions and with the way flights are these days I did not want to worry about us being a late arrival for our pick-up."

I'm not sure what you mean by "wait time restrictions"? Unless you get the meet-and-greet service, which isn't needed for most people, there is no wait time restriction. If you're using a car service like Dial 7 (often recommended here on TA), you just call them after you get your bags and they tell you where to meet your car. It doesn't matter if your flight is 15 minutes early or 2 hours late.

"I noticed on all the car service sites that a 20% tip is expected - is that also the typical tip % for a taxi?"

Like most tipping, it depends. Some would consider a 20% tip for a taxi to be on the high side, others would consider it normal. My opinion is 10% is bare minimum, I usually tip 15-20% depending on if the drive helped with luggage or whatever.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi tipping?

I agree with 20% on the higher side. And I also get frustrated when using a credit card in a cab, that "suggested" tips are calculated in advance at 20-30%.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi tipping?

I wouldn't worry about "suggested tips". Standard for cabs is 10-15%. 20% would really be for exceptional service.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi tipping?

10% is awfully skimpy in my book, especially for short rides. My customary is 20% & I've tipped as much as 1/3 to extraordinary drivers who showed a lot of savvy about skillfully (and safely) maneuvering through/around wretched traffic and/or weather conditions.

When using a credit card, you're free to add on whatever tip you like. But please know that the credit card's 3% service fee comes out of the driver's own pocket; I think it's only fair to compensate him for the convenience to me.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,350 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi tipping?

Standard for cabs is 20%. I agree with CC that 10% is VERY low.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi tipping?

Well, no one should be tipping less than $1 for anything. So short rides would get at least that. Personally, I just round up. 20% for a cab where they don't even get out to help with your stuff is way too much.

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi tipping?

We always give the driver $60 that cover, toll, fare and tip.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,350 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi tipping?

It's not any more "way too much" than 20% in a restaurant is "way too much" for a server who doesn't also sing. 20% is standard. If you choose to skimp on the tip, so be it, but you're tipping below the standard acceptable amount.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi tipping?

we used dial 7 at jfk twice now when we have flown in , you just #34 from the ground transportation desk , tell where you are going and and how many people and bags , they then tell you a car number and meeting spot at the front of your terminal, it's very easy and you have no worrys about if your plane is late and you miss your car. the price is the same whether you use a cab or a car ,

the car is generaly nicer and cleaner and the drivers are ussualy more familiar with the airport area so if you do encounter a traffic problem they know a way around it and you aren't stuck sitting there.