We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Train etc., from Newark Airport with luggage?

El Dorado Hlls, CA
Level Contributor
78 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Air Train etc., from Newark Airport with luggage?

After researching using prior threads, this seems like a good option for as, as we arrive at the airport at 5:25 p.m. on a Thursday. However, we will each have a 25 (or so) inch rolling suitcase, and small carry-on with us. How difficult is it to manuever on these trains?

Thanks.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,604 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Train etc., from Newark Airport with luggage?

Perfectly simple. There are elevators all the way to your final station: your final station may require navigating steps, depending on where you're going.

El Dorado Hlls, CA
Level Contributor
78 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Train etc., from Newark Airport with luggage?

That sounds good. I read previously that there is little room for luggage on the train itself, except at your feet. Will that be a problem?

We plan on catching a cab from Penn Station to The Hilton Club.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Train etc., from Newark Airport with luggage?

I wouldn't worry about it. You can put it at the top or on either end of the train car. Most people are commuting in the opposed direction, heading home to NJ. There should be plenty of room.

No need for a cab either. You can just switch to the E train at Penn Station, which will drop you off a block from your hotel. It's easier than trying to get a cab during rush hour.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,198 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Train etc., from Newark Airport with luggage?

Just rember that the trains are not a shuttle and to remove your luggage from the aslie and you will be fine. (most of the prblems occur because people think the train is a shuttle) Here are a few links

www.njtransit.com

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28951-i77-k296347…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Train etc., from Newark Airport with luggage?

you will be doing the reverse commute. Some people work in NJ and commute back into NYC, but mostly it's the opposite. The typical commuter would be on the PATH train, which doesnt enter your equation. The trains will be relatively empty coming into the city after 6pm on a weekday.

If its one of the double decker trains - the smaller part of the car when you enter (there are 8 seats on one end, and a handicapped/bike area on the other)- before you go up or down the stairs - has more luggage space. Once you go down or up, there is a small rack at the end of the car, but the overheads are made for shallow briefcases or suit jackets. On the non-double deckers, the overhead racks are deeper and you can fit a bag.

Edited: 05 May 2011, 21:58
El Dorado Hlls, CA
Level Contributor
78 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Train etc., from Newark Airport with luggage?

Thanks for the info.

If we were to choose a car service such as Dial 7, would the traffic during this time take significantly more time than doing the Air Train and NJ Transit?

Certainly a car service seems more relaxing, and it is a bit more expensive. But I am also thinking about wasting time in traffic.

Thanks.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Train etc., from Newark Airport with luggage?

The train is most convenient and you realize I hope that you have to change trains --- airtrain from the terminal then New Jersey transit to Penn station New York (not Penn station new jersey)

The advantage of a car service is that it is door to door

Edited: 05 May 2011, 22:31
El Dorado Hlls, CA
Level Contributor
78 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Train etc., from Newark Airport with luggage?

Yes, I have read the various forum threads regarding the Air Train to the NJ train to NY Penn Station.

Is the car traffic bad at that time of the early evening on a weeknight going from EWR to mid-town?

New York, New York
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Train etc., from Newark Airport with luggage?

It's still rush hour. While the traffic will be flowing, and most people will be going in the opposite direction, there still might be a wait at the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel from the NJ Turnpike. It's just not a good time of day -- rush hour. And if it's raining, or if the President is in town, or if some protest or festival is going on, that could impact traffic also.

A car service coming from EWR will still have to deal with traffic once in the City.

I would vote unequivocally for the NJ Transit train to New York Penn, and then, if you can manage the stairs, etc. take the subway. The E train will get you closest. Or you could just take a cab once you arrive at Penn. But you'll run the risk of traffic.

P.S. evening, sorry, but I have to correct you. There are thousands of people who take the NJ Transit train to commute into NYC every day. For example, the Jersey Avenue and MetroPark stations were built especially to cater to commuters on the Northeast Corridor line. In fact MOST of the people riding the NE Corridor line, up to Newark Airport, are commuters. That's one of the reasons they call it "the Tri-State area."

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,198 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Train etc., from Newark Airport with luggage?

The thing with the NE Corridor line is that it serves four major cities in the state. Unlike the coastline the NE Corridor trains are allways packed at all hours and in all directions. Do note Metropark refers to the whole area, not just the station (I had a few cleints who would put metropoark as there office location).