We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 guys..5 nights in NYC....our itinerary

London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
4 guys..5 nights in NYC....our itinerary

hey guys me and 3 mates are heading to NY at the end of june and we kinda have a plan put together...we think we have grouped things into relevant areas of the city to make things practical?...we will b getting around on foot and the subway n we defo dont mind moving around and being busy!.,we are staying out in queens....any suggestions/improvements would be helpful.... thanks.

we land on the sunday at jfk at 15-30

SUNDAY..... times sq-dinner n few beers-- ,a walk around central park.

At night either few beers at night in manhattan or queens?

MONDAY.... the rock, empire state, wall st, staten island ferry--see statue of liberty, ground zero

MANHATTAN NIGHT OUT!!

TUESDAY.... yankee stadium tour, helicopter ride, yankees game

QUEENS NIGHT OUT!

WEDNESDAY..... queens in the mornin,breakfast n look round shops at queens mall.. go stroll round manahttan..see soho,chelsea,chinatown ect...avin a few beers as we go

MANHATTAN NIGHT OUT!

THURSDAY..... either woodbury common or shoppin in city???..yet to b decided...lol

and the friday we fly out to VEGAS at 15-00 for another 5 nights!!!

we have no plans for the friday morning

how does all this sound?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 guys..5 nights in NYC....our itinerary

As a bloke, I'm pretty sure you'd be wasting your time by doing Woodbury Common.

Also, Queens is HUGE, and IMO, not really a destination for a night out. I don't know why you're ignoring Brooklyn, which is areas of, are brilliant for a night out. It would help if we knew how old you and your mates are, just so we know we're pointing you in the right direction. I've written a few pub crawls in my time which I could share if you think they'll be useful.

Also, there ain't many decent restaurants in Times Square, go for the photos, but head to areas of the city that have decent bars and restaurants and you'll be fine. Helicopter tours are overpriced, and you can probably more for much less by keeping your feet on the ground, You'll have had 2 ariel views from TOTR and Empire State by the looks of things.

I could totally re write your itinerary, you need to let us know what area of Queens you're staying in. would it be wrong to assume Long Island City?

M

London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 guys..5 nights in NYC....our itinerary

hello mate..yes we was thinkin of writing woodbury common off anyway,prob just shop in manhattan..

were all mid 20s in age n wud defo appriciate some pub crawl ideas :)

the only reason we was gna hit time square for dinner for the 1st day id purely for ease and convinience..prob wont fancy exploring to much the 1st day.. yes mate were staying near quuns plaza in long island city

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 guys..5 nights in NYC....our itinerary

I stayed in LIC and it's a great part of town to explore for a few beers and some decent food. Don't assume that you have to go to the tourist hotspots to explore the nightlife.

For a very decent pub crawl get yourself to Vernon Boulevard which is probably no more than 5 minutes from your hotel. I particularly liked Lounge 47 and LIC bar but there were plenty of other bars (trendy ones, old Irish bars, coffee shops, ethnic restaurants, all sorts).

If you spend a night there chances are you'll end up meeting more locals than you would in Greenwich Village or Times Square. I guess it's a bit like London; it's like drinking in Shoreditch opposed to Leicester Square.

I'd also recommend Astoria; perhaps ten minutes north. I wish I'd spent more time there.

And - like Shoreditch - it has a few *ahem* gentlemen's options! Google Gallaghers 2000 if you want more info.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,922 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 guys..5 nights in NYC....our itinerary

I'd also recommend that you look at a map or two before you leave.A neighborhood map and a subway map.

For instance - Sunday Landing at 3:30? Getting to your hotel then to TS for beers and then to Central Park for a walk around???? It's a bit more than 4kms by a bit less than 1 kms. What were you planning to do there drunk in the late evening?

Monday - why 2 high places in a row - don't you actually want to see and be part of NYC?

Tues - Where is your helicopter ride (third high place) located? You will be spending lots of time underground as well going from Queens to Bronx to not sure where in Manhattan for 3rd (VERY Expensive for the amount of time you'll be spending here) high place and then back to the Bronx (underground) for a game (do you know if the Yankees are playing when you are here?) and then back to Queens for a pub crawl??

I'd start seriously reading around on the forum, especially M4RKM's posts and some of the pub crawls that have been posted by Mel and others. Also, do some searches on Yankees Games and helicopter rides on this forum. There is plenty of information here. Then talk to your friends about what they really want to do when they are here.

typepad.com/site/…edit

…typepad.com/explorenyc/2010/03/metrocard---…

Have fun planning and enjoy your trip when you get here.

London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 guys..5 nights in NYC....our itinerary

cheers nfmac for the tips mate..did think queens would be better to meet locals on a night out..will defo check out astoria and vernon b.. nice 1

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 guys..5 nights in NYC....our itinerary

So you guys are into beer and you are not going to go to Brooklyn. Seriously? As a beer geek myself, I can assure you that Brooklyn these days is one of the best places under the Sun to imbibe, WHY?

First, with beer, local is good. And we really do have great local beer. Forget [really just forget] all those ads you have seen for such swill as Bud, Miller and Coors. Coors Lite cannot even be classified as a beer. Check out beer made in Brooklyn by The Brooklyn Brewery [Williamsburg], Kelso [Greenpoint] and Six Point Craft Ale [Red Hook]. Great brewers are also in the surrounding areas of NY including Captain Lawrence [Pleasantville], Blue Point [Long Island] and for those Belgian fans, Ommegang [Cooperstown]. In short, great beer is brewed in NY.

Second, in addition to great beer, you need a place to drink it. Williiamsburg has places like Radegast Hall and Lorely biergartens, Spike Hill, the Turnkeys Nest, Teddys, Muggs, Union Pool, Barcade and hundreds of more pubs. Oh, did I mention that the Brooklyn Brewery is open to the public on Friday night and Sat and Sun afternoons. [L train to Bedford Ave.]

My neighborhood of Park Slope is no slouch either when it comes to where to drink. Along Fifth Ave you hit Union Hall, High Dive, Loki Lounge, Great Lakes and the Gate. But the mother of all beer culture in the area is Biercraft. An amazing array of beer, great food and free tastings on most Tuesday nights. Yep - free beer. [R train to Union Street]

Third - Folks in BK are friendly. Strike up a conversation in any bar and you will soon have folks buying you rounds - and vice versa.

Lastly, why the heck would you waste a day shopping in a mall in Woodbury. We have great stores here, and most of them will be having sales. As we say in Brooklyn - Fugheddaboudit.

MEL

Third,

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 guys..5 nights in NYC....our itinerary

Damn work. I was going to pen a plan for you guys to follow which will ultimately make you see more of the city, plus get to sample many great beers. Trust me. I've been taught by the best, (aka BrooklynMel).

SUNDAY - Land get to Hotel, Head to Central Park, Have your wander around there for a few hours, and THEN go for an evening meal somewhere. I'd personally head to Times Square, get some photos, and then over to 9th Avenue, for whatever kinda food takes your fancy. There are some great bars there too for beers. Try Rudy's for a beer and a free hotdog.. woohoo! Subway back to hotel

MONDAY - Head to the TOTR, I love MoMA, so I'm going to throw that one in there. If you give some of the amazing art a bit of a glance, you'll be in and out in 2 hours. It is worth it, and you can get a dual TOTR and MoMA ticket.

From there, head on the subway and grab lunch / beers at Frances Tauvern. i've not been, but the food is great, and the beer is good too! It's in the Financial District, so you'll be well placed to do the rest of your day. See Wall Street, then head to the Staten Island Ferry. Once you've done the ferry, have a walk over to Cortland Street, visit Century 21 for some Shopping, and see the progress at the WTC site etc.

Head back to the hotel, and freshen up ready for a night out. I personally wouldn't plan certain nights out, just have a choice, and choose whatever you want. you have 4 nights, so 1 in Queens, 1 in Brooklyn, 1 in Manhattan, and another where you liked the best! :D

TUESDAY - I'm not sure if they do tours on game days. double check that. I'd ditch the helicopter ride, and just head into Manhattan. Do the Empire State building, and from there, walk down and see NYC, Flatiron Building, Union Square, Chelsea, and walk the highline. I'm assuming the game you're going to is Brewers game, which is 7.05pm. Head up there for about 5pm, and i'm sure BrooklynMel can remind me where the good food places are because the food is so expensive at Yankee Stadium.

Now, a 7pm game should be finished around 10pm, so you'll be back to your hotel by 11pm, and still time to get some bar hopping around Queens. Logical to do it then, as you're much closer to your hotel too.

WEDNESDAY - Stick with the plan of Queens shopping, Etc, maybe visit MoMA PS1 for some contemporary art, or the Museum of the Moving Image (films, tv etc!) . Grab some lunch and head into Manhattan. Start at Union Square, and do a bit of a pub crawl, and you could see Greenwich Village, Soho, and Tribeca, and maybe if you're sober enough, take a leisurely stroll over the Brooklyn Bridge. Head through to Park Slope (subway), and then you can do a bit of an evening out in this area. It's still early by my reckoning, so you've got plenty of time to head back to the Hotel, and then do another night out.

THURSDAY - head into Manhattan for shopping, and I'm sure there are other things you can still do.

FRIDAY - you have a bit of time to kil, as you don't need to get your luggage and head to the airport until around Midday, that'll give you an hour to get there, and 2 hours to get checked in etc. Check in online to make it quicker, then it's just a bag drop.

Well, I've gone a bit OTT with helping I think there.. but, it gives you an idea of what you should be able to fit into an itinerary, at rather a leisurely pace. If you notice, you're doing things in the morning, and then mainly in the afternoons after lunch, it's more sightseeing and bar hopping. It's what I do normally in NYC, and it works well!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 guys..5 nights in NYC....our itinerary

M4RK, get back to work you lazy slacker. Me thinks that these guys are in for a treat.

MEL

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 guys..5 nights in NYC....our itinerary

you calling me a lazy slacker. I'm sitting in the office working hard at designing my personal website.

oh.. hang on.. that's not right..

M

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 guys..5 nights in NYC....our itinerary

- The best going out areas for a group of guys in Manhattan would be East Village/Lower East Side and West Village/Greenwich/Meatpacking. If you like relaxed places without hassles at the door, definitely head to the former. Anything Ludlow St in LES, Avenue A, First Ave, 14th St, etc is good. There are bars on every block in that area big area. Just stumble around. You'll meet plenty of locals here - it's pretty much all locals unless you come out Fri and Sat nights when bridge and tunnel crowd comes out too. Meatpacking is more high end lounges with some hassle at the door. Some bar names for your needs: Piano's, Spitzer's, TBA, Common Ground, Beauty Bar, Crocodile Lounge, Hi Fi.

- Another great going out area is Williamsburg, Brooklyn off either Bedford or Lorimer stops on the L subway line. Check out Union Pool, Barcade, Alligator Lounge, etc.

- Where in Queens are you staying? It could be far out or could be in a fun area. If you're in prime Astoria, there are lots of good bars (incl. beer gardens) and ethnic (esp. Greek) restaurants. However, I think you're spending a lot of time in Queens on your itinerary and not enough in Manhattan. www.Yelp.com is a good site for bar reviews - you can search by neighborhood and sort by top rated.

- I would break your sightseeing in Manhattan into groups of things that are close together. Right now, it's a bit all over the place.

Day 1: Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Times Square (should be seen after dark); dinner and drinks AWAY from Times Square (which is mostly chains and families of tourists). Head to Hells Kitchen area for example, not too far away.

Day 2: Statue of Liberty, WTC, City Hall, Walk over Brooklyn Bridge, Williamsburg and night out in Williamsburg or Queens

Day 3: Walk around Downtown Manhattan, i.e. Chelsea (and Highline), Union Square, West Village, SoHo, East Village, LES, Chinatown, Little Italy. It may even take you 2 days to do this. This is one of the most lively and charming areas of NYC - don't miss it. Night out in EV/LES or West Village.

Day 4: Shopping - there is plenty of shopping in the Union Square, Chelsea, and Soho areas. There is no reason to go to Woodbury Commons in my opinion. It's not really cheap and there are rarely true bargains any better than sales racks at stores right in Manhattan. I personally wouldn't waste an entire day on this. Plenty of discount shopping available right in Manhattan - spend time at discount stores like Century 21, Nordstrom Rack, Filene's Basement and Loehmann's instead.