We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Night City View

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Night City View

After the theatre on Fri night - Schubert, I would like to go to a very tall building with an amazing city view. Are there any good bars/observation decks (open at night) that someone could recommend?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Night City View

Hi Redand,

The Empire State Building is open until 0200 - the last elevator is at 0115. Just be aware if you are planning to take photographs that you can't take a tripod to the observation deck. That said, it was blowing a gale and freezing when I was there and I managed some decent hand-held shots.

Top Of The Rock is also open until midnight - the last elevator is at 2300.

There are possibly other good vantage points but that might depend on what you are hoping to see, although the views from both ESB and TOTR are pretty hard to beat.

sydney
Level Contributor
309 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Night City View

Is there anywhere to put your camera, like a ledge, to rest it for a slow exposure shot.

UK
Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Night City View

The best time to take a picture is at dusk after the street lights have come on. I've managed to take some slow exposure shots from the empire state building using a small tripod. You just have to try and dodge people trying to light up the New York sky line using a compact flash.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,973 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Night City View

For a drink, the View restaurant/bar at the top of Marriott Marquis is the only place in NYC that revolves. Drinks are pricey but it's all about the view.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Night City View

Hi Redand,

You might consider the Mandarin Oriental on 60th street and Columbus Circle just a little bit further uptown from the theater district but, still on the west side.

The Lobby Lounge is on the 35th floor and has outstanding views of central park and the east side. The drinks here are pricy but, it's all very elegant and the views are fabulous.

My personal favorite on the east side is the Top of the Tower at the Beekman Tower Hotel on 49th and 1rst Avenue. I have often gone for drinks and the views of midtown and the East River and Queens are superb.

Jonathan

Tbilisi, Georgia
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Night City View

All fabulous suggestions. The one caveat I have with the View (at the Marriott) is that if you're wanting to take photos, their window's a bit thick. Maybe I didn't find a way out or to some open window, but it's not that conducive to photos...

The Top of the Tower at the Beekman has two balconies/outside seating areas. Lovely view of midtown and of the East River.

The Mandarin Oriental Lounge view is lovely, mostly the park framed by city. It's best not at night but right as dusk begins to cast its pink hues.

The Robert, the restaurant above the Museum of Arts and Design on Columbus Circle, also offers a nice view from some tables. But lower--you're basically in Columbus's face. :)

Never gone to the Top of the Rock, though I want to!

7. Re: Best Night City View

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2012, 21:16