We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Baseball tickets

Sudney
Level Contributor
40 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap Baseball tickets

Hi

In NYC in June and wanted to attend a baseball game for the novelty factor. Is there somewhere where you can get cheap tickets like half price tks to broadway shows? Do they discount if you just show up on the day? Do they sell out?

Thanks

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,625 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap Baseball tickets

Your best bet is at Citi field to see the Mets play. I don't know if they discount at the stadium, but they certainly don't sell out, unless they're playing the Yankees. You can usually find cheap tickets on www.stubhub.com.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Baseball tickets

If you're coming in late June, another idea would be to go to a minor league game, either the Brooklyn Cyclones, who play at Coney Island, or the Staten Island Yankees, who play very close to the ferry dock on Staten Island. Minor league games are much cheaper than major league games and many people find the atmosphere more appealing.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap Baseball tickets

If you want novelty, then yes, the Mets are the correct choice. :D

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap Baseball tickets

The cheapest tickets will generally be available on the team's website. Always start there first. Tickets all the way at the top and in less disirable parts of the stadium are cheapest.

Since baseball has so many games, many season ticket holders resell their tickets online. Stubhub.com is not a ticket provider - they're a broker site where people and brokers resell tickets, usually for a profit. However, you can get lucky and get tickets below face value for less popular games and teams. But be aware that they can be fake tickets too. For that reason, I always recommend to go with the official ticket seller first, i.e. listed on the team's website. Some teams do use TicketExchange via Ticketmaster, which is an official reseller site for season ticket holders. They have a way to verify the tickets before they're sold to you.

If the tickets you want are not on sale yet, you can sign up to get a notification when they are. Then buy immediately after they go on sale for the best selection.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap Baseball tickets

Since you want novelty factor, you may as well go to Yankee Stadium, otherwise known to me as heaven on earth (at least the old stadium). This is a landmark known the world over and so much closer than Citifield so why would you consider going anywhere else unless you are a Mets fan. There's plenty of satisfaction in knowing and being able to say, "I've been to Yankee Stadium."

Now that I'm off my high horse, I would go to Stubhub with just a a few days to go and buy an eticket. There are TONS of tickets available for this week's games against the Royals starting at a $1. Don't buy from the team if money is a big consideration and this doesn't seem THAT important to you anyway.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap Baseball tickets

It's false to assume that StubHub has all legit tickets. When you're buying from the team directly, it's 100% reliable. StubHub is just a hub for resellers, including crooks. If you only have one night in town to see a game, it's worth pondering whether it's worth the risk.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap Baseball tickets

It's false to assume that anything in life is "legit". There is risk with virtually everything but to make a besmirching claim without any facts to support it is highly irresponsible. I've used it dozens of times without fail and have no reservations about continuing to do so as I'm sure are the buyers of MILLIONS of tickets every single year.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap Baseball tickets

Have a look at the yankees official website

…mlb.com/nyy/ticketing/specials.jsp

under tuesday night specials , there is a range of games with special discounts and offers , cups , caps etc, all through june

Yankees stadium is definatley a sight to be experienced even if you aren't a baseball fan ,( Probably more cricket coming from Australia ) but we loved our trip there.

tickets are easy to buy over the internet and pick up at the stadium for overseas fans

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,625 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap Baseball tickets

The idea that the cheapest tickets are ALWAYS available through the team is simply incorrect. Mets tickets are a LOT cheaper through StubHub than they are through the official website. That's the absolute, 100% best way for the OP to see a cheap major league baseball game while in New York City. Period. End of story.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap Baseball tickets

See the 'Clones. The Brooklyn Cyclones play at MCU Park which is located right on the Boardwalk in Coney Island. This is a jewel of a park in a wonderful setting. As this is minor league baseball, the prices are quite reasonable, and you can sit way up close. Are they as good as the Yankees? Naw, only a few of them will ever make the major leagues. But - the baseball is fun.

Before or after the game there is lots to do in the area. Ride the Cyclone or the other new coasters at Coney Island. Take a swim in the Ocean. Visit nearby Brighton Beach for its Russian vibe. Head to Nathans for some hot dogs.

Outside the stadium is one of my favorite sculptures in NYC. It is a larger than life size bronze of Jackie Robinson and Pee Wee Reese. It commemorates a great moment in racial healing. Jackie was being booed tremendously in St. Louis. At the racial insults cascaded down, Pee Wee Reese, the team captain and Kentucky gentleman, came over and put his arm around Jackie. Come to the park, and see the moment cast in bronze.

www.brooklyncyclones.com