We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment style hotel in Lower East Side/Chinatown

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Apartment style hotel in Lower East Side/Chinatown

Hey

Looking to go to New York for a week in September, there will be 4-6 of us, and we'll like to be able to cook/hang out so an apartment-style hotel would be great.

Location wise Chinatown/ Lower East Side, etc is good but can be flexible. Brooklyn/Williamsburg work too.

Ideally prices around $50 per person per night

Does anyone know of any good websites to check for accomodation

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment style hotel in Lower East Side/Chinatown

Apt rentals under 30 days are now illegal. So you have to go with official hotels. $50 per person for what you're looking for is going to be very hard in Manhattan. You can try Off Soho Suites. Or you can get two rooms at Sohotel or Best Western Hanbee. Prices depend on dates.

Brooklyn can potentially be an option, but Williamsburg doesn't have many hotels, especially apt-style of close to the train. Downtown Brooklyn would be easier.

www.Kayak.com is a good site to compare options for your dates.

Edited: 09 May 2011, 18:14
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,268 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment style hotel in Lower East Side/Chinatown

Hi aoife. Thank you for NOT asking about apartments. :) There are, unfortunately, no apartment-style hotels in Brooklyn, and I don't know of any that far downtown. The ones most often recommended are the affinia.com properties, Radio City Apartments, the Marmara, and the Beacon. I probably missed a couple.

Do you know which week in September? The first week of September is priced reasonably, but prices skyrocket after that, and your budget is likely much too low for any other than the first week. Even then, $300 a night for a room that sleeps six, is probably skimpy.

Hope that helps.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment style hotel in Lower East Side/Chinatown

Off Soho Suites is the only one that I can think of that may offer anything that you want. $50 per night is just so low though, for a normal hotel room after the first week of September, you're going to be looking at $200 a night, and that will only sleep 2 people.

M

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment style hotel in Lower East Side/Chinatown

First week in Sept is Labor Day weekend. It's not cheap.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,268 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartment style hotel in Lower East Side/Chinatown

Actually, Labor Day weekend IS cheap, since people LEAVE the city for that weekend.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartment style hotel in Lower East Side/Chinatown

"People" who leave (New Yorkers?) don't stay in hotels. Tourists travel for holiday weekends since they get time off work.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartment style hotel in Lower East Side/Chinatown

Actually, if you aim to get here before that weekend it is cheap. It is from that Saturday onwards, the prices sky rocket.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,268 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Apartment style hotel in Lower East Side/Chinatown

Have you looked at hotel prices, cooki? Or are you assuming you know what hotel prices in NYC do before Labor Day weekend? Business travel picks up immediately AFTER Labor Day wekeend, and hotel prices go up accordingly.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Apartment style hotel in Lower East Side/Chinatown

I have. I don't have my friends stay at business hotels - village hotels aren't cheap. Labor Day prices are not extravagant, but they're by no means cheap.

Business days impact Financial District hotels most - you can get cheaper rates there on the weekends most of the year. Everything else varies based on what conferences are in town.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,905 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Apartment style hotel in Lower East Side/Chinatown

Off Soho Suites is in the exact area you want. It's apartment style with decent prices. I stayed there with my Mom and Sister.

We stayed in a 1 br suite with private bath. They also have economy 1 br where you share a bath with one other suite. All have kitchens.

It won't be as low as $50 pp, but if you decide you need to be flexible about max price, they could be a great option: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93374-R…