We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will Certain Apartment Rentals be made LEGAL?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,158 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Will Certain Apartment Rentals be made LEGAL?

You know when you get bored on the internet. It is amazing what information you can find.

Just found this amendment to the current Multiple Dwelling Law (the one about apartment rentals being illegal), so this makes very interesting reading.

Here is some of the text of the new proposed changes to the law.

---

Section 1 of the bill amends section 4 of the multiple dwelling law, creating a use of a class A unit for vacation rental purposes, so long as such unit is not an SRO, contains a bathroom and a kitchen, has working smoke detectors in each room of the unit, and carries sufficient fire, hazard and liability insurance.

Section 2 of the bill amends section 4 of the multiple dwelling law to add a new subdivision 15-a that would define "vacation rental unit."

Section 3 and 4 of the bill would amend the administrative code of the city of New York, adding the same language as in sections 1 and 2 of the bill to section 27-2004 and thereby, maintaining uniformity.

----

Furthermore, there is a paragraph in the text of the amendment, to state, (and this bit is really where it all makes perfect sense)

"These short term units provide tax income to New York and tourism dollars to the areas in which they are located"

If these changes pass, and some Vacation Rentals become legal, will there be an increase in scams, but also will it be easier to spot them?

Link here - open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S4263-2011

M

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will Certain Apartment Rentals be made LEGAL?

Who would want to live in a building that allows that?

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will Certain Apartment Rentals be made LEGAL?

This is just a bill introduced by State Senator Golden of Brooklyn, who also voted against the law that passed and that will shortly go into effect. Considering that Golden was on the losing side, this bill isn't going anywhere.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,158 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will Certain Apartment Rentals be made LEGAL?

The senate obviously don't care about that, they're wanting the tax dollars.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will Certain Apartment Rentals be made LEGAL?

Mark, the State Senate already voted on this issue last year; this is a sour grapes move on Golden's part to try to get them to change the result. It is highly unlikely it will ever make its way out of committee. Also note that you simply will not get the State Senate voting to change the New York City Administrative Code without that change being requested by the City Council.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will Certain Apartment Rentals be made LEGAL?

While I realize that it is difficult for visitors to NYC to find inexpensive accomodations, I am far more concerned about what converting rental units over to vacation units means for the citizens of this city. Here are my two major issues:

1. Anyone who lives in NYC, or has a kid who does, is well aware of the difficulty in finding suitable rental apartments. Allowing these apartments to be converted to short term vacation rentals effectively takes them off of the market for our residents. Not only do these units become unavailable to residents, but they also cause the other units to go up in price as there are fewer available.

2. I know my neighbors. I know who has keys to my building. I do not want to live in a "hotel" with all sorts of folks coming and going. I raise my kids here, and the last thing I want is reveling vacationers when I am trying to sleep. This is an issue of both security and peace.

With all due respect to our visitors, whom I do indeed admire, your comfort and affordability takes second place to that of NYers who already live here. It is OUR city, and you are only visiting. Yes, our residents' needs to come before your convenience.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,167 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will Certain Apartment Rentals be made LEGAL?

+++BrooklynMel

If there aren't enough units for tourists to stay in, let's build more hotels on those blighted blocks in Long Island City. Some could even be "aparthotels."

Edited: 09 May 2011, 20:44
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,158 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will Certain Apartment Rentals be made LEGAL?

Which is why I posted it as a question, because reading what bills have gone through is one thing, but discussing it with locals is another.

Now, I agree with Alice and Mel, that who would want to live in a building with all the comings and goings of us tourists, but the outright ban has made some people make their businesses legal, (from what I've read online, nyhabitat have had a lawyer check which ones are legal), but it's interesting that something is attempted to be done, regardless (currently) at how unsuccessful it will be

Edited: 09 May 2011, 20:58
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will Certain Apartment Rentals be made LEGAL?

Amen, Mel.