We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking For Hotel Choice Opinions

vancouver
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Looking For Hotel Choice Opinions

We (2 adults) are coming to NY for a 1 week stay from June 14th - June 21st. We have narrowed down our hotel choices & are trying to decide between 2 hotels. Obviously it comes down to your personal preferences but welcome your comments.

We are sisters in our late 40's, first trip to NY. We plan to see at least 1 Broadway show & visit the typical tourist attractions - TOTR, SOL, ESB etc. We enjoy strolling through different neighborhoods so we'll do some unguided walking tours, stopping at outdoor cafes & parks to people watch & take in the surroundings.

We will do some shopping (mainly clothing & accessories) but will only be window shopping at the more upscale stores.

We are not foodies but are not fans of fasr food. We'd like to have a fridge in the room to keep fresh fruit, cheese, wine, water etc.

I'm leaning towards the Cosmopolitan - for the location. My sister thinks Candlewood Suites Time Square is better because it's a suite with kitchenettes. The price difference isn't much so that's not really the determining factor. Cosmo is $205.00 per night for a double bed & a sofa. Candlewood is $225.00 per night for queen suite.

Your comments are welcomed.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking For Hotel Choice Opinions

If you want to be able to walk around charming vibrant neighborhoods, you should look into staying Downtown around Soho and Lower East Side and not Times Square (which mainly has chain restaurants and loads of tourist families). The subway goes everywhere and attractions are spreadout. So no reason to plan around them. I would plan around the area you'll want to be in when you want to run out for brunch or to walk around and soak in the atmosphere or to go out for a drink at after dark.

- Looking at Kayak, Sohotel has rooms for your dates for $226. Best Western Hanbee for $241 (you can get 2 queens instead of fulls). Comfort Inn Ludlow $242, Blue Moon (unique boutique) $260

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking For Hotel Choice Opinions

Honestly I would pick neither of the hotels you list. Both suffer from having only 1 small window in the room which I think would be claustrophic. You're too old to be sharing a double bed imo and who wants to sleep on a sofa (and I'm not even sure it's a sofabed). Look at photos of both places on

oyster.com

They have photos of the specific rooms you're thinking of booking. While I don't love all the hotels cooki mentions and some may be over your budget, I do agree some are better. If I had to pick one of the 2 you mention, I guess I would go with the Candlewood for bigger bed and kitchen.

But some other options to consider

On the Ave is on special offer on tripadvisor for a superior room with queen or king bed for $220 plus tax. It's on the upper west side which is a charming residential area near Central Park with loads of good, moderately priced restaurants and easy subway access to midtown. You can also walk to midtown from here.

Radio City Apts. is on quikbook.com for $198/night for a queen bed studio with kitchen or 2 doubles without a kitchen or a large studio with 2 double beds for $208

There's a secret sale 4* deluxe hotel near Grand Central with king bed for $205/night that I believe is the St. Giles Tuscany

If you want to consider a non traditional option, the Canal Park Inn has a queen room with kitchenette (in Tribeca) for $179/night including breakfast.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d1995585…

vancouver
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking For Hotel Choice Opinions

Thank you both for your comments. We do want to be comfortable and some light in the room would be nice. We are not limited to the price ranges of the 2 hotels we originally mentioned so I'll take your advice & have a look the suggested hotels.

Thanks

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking For Hotel Choice Opinions

Frommer's 24 Great Walks in New York may give you pointers if you intend to walk around.

vancouver
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking For Hotel Choice Opinions

I booked a large studio with 2 double beds for $208 @ Radio City Apts. on quikbook.com. I'll be sure to write a review after our stay.

I do have Frommer's 24 Great Walks in New York and plan to take many of the walks.

Thanks again.

Edited: 12 May 2011, 07:49
6. Re: Looking For Hotel Choice Opinions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 07:17