We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hostel at Manhattan

Portage, Indiana
9 posts
Save Topic
Hostel at Manhattan

Hello,

I'm going to visit New York City with my husband and we are looking for cheap and clean accommodation at Manhattan. We want a private room. Can anybody advise me a good hostels.

Thank you.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hostel at Manhattan

Please do yourself a favor and mention the dates and your Budget and you will get a lot of help.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hostel at Manhattan

"Private room" and "hostel" are somewhat contradictory, aren't they?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hostel at Manhattan

There are private rooms at hostels.

We need a price pee night and dates.

Bug Apple hostel gets good reviews and is located in Tines Square.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,351 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hostel at Manhattan

There are only a few legal hostels in New York City.

The YMCAs (Vanderbilt and West Side)

Big Apple Hostel

Chelsea International

Hostelling International

I think they all have private rooms. Other budget options with shared bathrooms include the Larchmont and the Pod hotel.

Depending on your budget and dates, you might be able to afford a decent budget hotel instead of a hostel.

Portage, Indiana
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hostel at Manhattan

Thank you for quick reply. We want to spend $70-90 per night per person. We are plannig to go in first week in June for 3 nights. If you have any suggestions let me know.

Edited: 12 May 2011, 02:38
Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hostel at Manhattan

nevermind!

Edited: 12 May 2011, 02:40
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hostel at Manhattan

What specific dates?

Hotel 17 has private rooms with shared bathrooms too and not far from Union Square

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,804 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hostel at Manhattan

You don't have to stay in a hostel with that budget. There's a 3.5* hotel in the Chelsea area on Hotwire for June 2-5 for $158/night plus tax (which will come to about $180). It looks like the Wyndham Garden Times Square South.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d1149404…

You might do even better on price if you bid on Priceline. If you're willing to stay just outside Manhattan a train ride away, thee are good options in Long Island City like the Verve hotel. (look on booking.com)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hostel at Manhattan

fyi... Hotel 17 isn't authorized by the City to serve as hotel accommodations for tourists:

…nyc.gov/bisweb/ECBQueryByNumberServlet…

See my post #43 in this thread if you want more particulars:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4070749…

I think the Big Apple Hostel is the only legit hostel that offers a queen bed in their private rooms, but a private room is priced at $114/night for a June stay.

Edited: 12 May 2011, 13:43
New York City
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hostel at Manhattan

Hosteling International USA, New York City is your best bet if they have room! A handful of private rooms, and one penthouse apartment. Many hostels in NYC being served vacate orders in the middle of the night due to a new law in effect as of 5/1/11 deeming them illegal due to safety concerns. HI-NYC is the only legal one left. Some are still open, but book at your own risk.