We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you recommend a Pedicab tour of Central Park?

El Dorado Hills...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Would you recommend a Pedicab tour of Central Park?

We are taking our 17 year old daughter to NYC for her graduation trip arriving on May 29th for a week.

It is our second visit to NYC so I am looking for things we did not do on our first trip a few years ago.

The last time we visited we were there Thanksgiving week so most of the outdoor sites and activities were difficult in the rain.

A friend of mine took a pedicab tour of central park a couple of years ago and said she really enjoyed it.

Wondering if this is something more for older adults or would teenagers enjoy it as well?

Has anyone taken your teenagers for a pedicab tour?

Also, not sure if we should book ahead or not and with whom?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I should mention that i did search on this forum for the topic and found one pedicab person that was highly recommended on tripadvisor...Stan O'connor. I email him and didn't hear back so I'm not sure if he still gives pedicab tours?

Thanks!

katy,Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would you recommend a Pedicab tour of Central Park?

I have the same question but dont want to book in advance.Are there pedi cabs just hanging out on Saturday?

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would you recommend a Pedicab tour of Central Park?

There are tons of them hanging around trying to get business. They often seem pretty desperate for business.

Most of them are very recent immigrants so I wouldn't expect them to know very much about the park and its history.

It isn't anything I would recommend for anybody that is not seriously mobility impaired. I think the park is much more pleasant on foot. I can't imagine paying somebody to pedal me around. Why not rent a bicycle and pedal yourself around if that is what you want.

I can see how some people think a horse drawn carriage ride at dusk in December (with a light dusting of snow on the ground) before dinner can seem romantic and particularly charming around the holidays but to be pedaled around on a pedicab in the spring or summer just doesn't do it for me. Sorry. I hope I haven't burst any bubbles.

East Village, New...
Level Contributor
364 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Would you recommend a Pedicab tour of Central Park?

I recommend using your feet to tour anywhere in New York.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would you recommend a Pedicab tour of Central Park?

Please do a forum search. This topic has been discussed many times. Tourguidestan a regular contributor is a guide and a pedicab owner. It may be a novelty. Thats about it. Walking as was said is better. But it is obviously your choice and your right as long as you make sure you are not being taken advantage of.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,598 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Would you recommend a Pedicab tour of Central Park?

Virtually all pedicab drivers won't be giving you an actual tour, they'll just be pedalling you around. Most of the park cannot be accessed except by foot - pedicabs are restricted to the main roads. I agree that unless you can't or really don't want to walk, the park is better explored on foot. You don't need a tour; just explore on your own. You can identify a few sites you particularly want to see in advance if you'd like, but part of the fun is wandering around.

Callicoon/Brooklyn...
Destination Expert
for Callicoon, Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,344 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would you recommend a Pedicab tour of Central Park?

I agree, walking is the best way to see the park. A Bike rental will also be a good alternative. But by no means take a horse drawn carriage ride! SAVE A HORSE.....RIDE A (BIKE) OR COWBOY!! lol

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would you recommend a Pedicab tour of Central Park?

Bikes are only allowed on the main vehicular roads. Walking is the best way to see anything in the park.

El Dorado Hills...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Would you recommend a Pedicab tour of Central Park?

Ok, great.

Thanks for all of the replies!

Looks like we will bag the pedicab idea and walk the park for sure.

Thanks again!

Denmark
Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would you recommend a Pedicab tour of Central Park?

I respectfully disagree! :-)

My husband, my brother and I took a pedicab tour of central park in 2009 with a guy named Nick (at the time we were 19,22,23 years old)

We LOVED it!

When your feet are getting tired from all the walking it is nice to be able to sit down, have a soda, take some pictures and watch the city go by (or really it is you going by :-)

We booked him for the next day as well and he took us all over lower manhattan (chinatown, little italy, soho, meatpacking district etc)

It was great! We got a good look at the areas and could then decide were we wanted to go back to on our own later on.

We actually stayed in touch and then in the summer of 2010 we (husband and I) went back with his two teen siblings (17 and 18 at the time)

He took the boys for a tour of Harlem and the girls for a tour of Central Park and midtown.

The tour was very informative and he has done it for many years!

He is a great guy and is working every day (with exceptions of course)

You can find him on the corner of 58th street and 7th avenue (coming from midtown it is the right hand corner) from around 11 am - 4pm - ask for Nick and if he is not there ask for Key

By the way, we still keep in touch and we are actually visiting him in THE CITY right now!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would you recommend a Pedicab tour of Central Park?

Being in a pedicab in traffic sounds absolutely terrifying to me. You know, the city has had problems with them in the past.

Some people like to live dangerously.

Walking really is the way to experience the city. Anyway, most of them wouldn't be able to tell you anything about New York City as many seem to be here only "temporarily."