We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wife wants to go to century 21shopping for like 2 hours

katy,Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Wife wants to go to century 21shopping for like 2 hours

Sounds like no fun to me.Give me some ideas that dont include 9-11 that i can get to quickly.I am up for anything museums,parks or anything.I am kind of desperate but dont want to go to far from century 21.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wife wants to go to century 21shopping for like 2 hours

The waterfront is stunningly beautiful this time of year. On the other side of Ground Zero is the World Financial Center and the marina. There are several large areas with table service where you can have a beer, a glass of wine, a bite to eat. The whole area there is outdoor recreation - it is wonderful (and very pretty).

You can sit inside on a rainy day and still look out at the water.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wife wants to go to century 21shopping for like 2 hours

Have you ever been to the Irish Hunger Memorial? That wouldn’t be a long walk.

nyc.com/arts__attractions/irish_hunger_memor…

nymag.com/listings/…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,224 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wife wants to go to century 21shopping for like 2 hours

You could also walk to the Wall Street Pier, take the free boat to and from IKEA in Red Hook. Or visit the South Street Seaport, which is touristy, but I would think the historical boats might be interesting. I think I read they're closing the Water Taxi Beach that was there, but you could always hang out and have a beer, play miniature golf if it's still open.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wife wants to go to century 21shopping for like 2 hours

Ah, yes, a common question.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1021587… Downtown_Financial_District-

...and the results speak for themselves!:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1042596… Downtown_Trip_Report_Part_II_Restaurant_Bars-

We also have attrractions nearby that don't involve drinking. ;o) Here is my self-guided walking tour of the area:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c62611/New-Yor…

You can order FREE maps from www.downtownny.org or go to the visitor's booth in front of World Trade Center #7 (@ Vesey and Greenwich Streets, in front of giant red balloon sculpture.)

I highly recommend the following:

Tom Otterness' "The Real World" sculpture garden

Irish Hunger Memorial

A guided tour of the Federal Reserve, including the gold vault

African Burial Ground

Walking on old Stone Street

Skyscraper Museum

Enjoy!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Wife wants to go to century 21shopping for like 2 hours

The NY branch of the Museum of the American Indian is pretty close. It's part of the Smithsonian so admission is free.

The NY Police Museum is located in an old precinct house on Old Slip. My son and I visted because he was interested in the subject. We thought the museum was just OK but it would be better than two hours of shopping.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wife wants to go to century 21shopping for like 2 hours

If the weather's nice walk north to Vesey Street (2 blocks). Take a left on Vesey and keep walking. You will have to cross a pedestrian bridge but if you keep walking (total ~5 blocks, but they're small blocks) you will be looking out over a green park along the Hudson River (you'll be just past the Irish Hunger Memorial which you can check out). There are several options:

1. A little to your right is a stone building. If you have a photo i.d., you can get equipment there and shoot some pool on the tables along the water. It's first come, first served, and only 2 tables so if there's already someone there, you may have to wait. You can also get ping pong equipment and basketballs, but will have to find someone to play with. There's usually a bunch of people hanging around there so maybe someone will be in the same boat.

2. If you just want to hang out, bring a book and sit on one of the benches along the water and watch the boats.

3. Follow the river to the left and you will see the plaza that MoreFFmiles suggested and pretend you just got off of one of the yachts. You can walk along the river here in either direction and it's quite nice.

If you decide to do the Museum of the American Indian as eephus suggests, just walk down Bway. Doing queensboulevard’s walking tour or as much as you have time for is also a good idea.

If you prefer shopping for electronics as opposed to C21, walk up Bway to Park Row and on the right is J&R computer/music/camera world.

I don't think you will have time to go to Red Hook and back. The Federal Reserve tour requires an advance reservation.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
76 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wife wants to go to century 21shopping for like 2 hours

2 hours? Try like 3 or more. LOL!

8. Re: Wife wants to go to century 21shopping for like 2 hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 05:16