We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

canal street???????

dundalk
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
canal street???????

hi just wondering what sort of goods are sold here?? i am due to stay in the new yorker on 4/8/11 for a week and was going to go for a walk and a look?

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: canal street???????

You need to be careful not to buy counterfeit goods which seem to be the norm there. You can certainly take a look. But be careful what you buy.

dundalk
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: canal street???????

what would happen if i bought counterfeit goods????

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: canal street???????

There are a few jewelry stores, several people selling bootleg copies of everything from DVD's to handbags, and a number of specialty Chinese grocers selling primarily to those living in the area.

You do realize that Canal Street is not near your hotel, but rather a subway ride away?

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: canal street???????

If you buy counterfeit goods, you may well end up with something that's not even worth the ridiculously low price you paid for it. Also, at least theoretically, if the police happened to raid the place just after your purchase, you could lose the stuff you bought with no refund. In other words, I wouldn't suggest it.

Ozark, Missouri
Level Contributor
507 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: canal street???????

Carmina:

To the right are the "Top Questions." Read the one labelled "Should I Buy Knock-off Purses?" to get an idea why you should not consider buying these goods.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: canal street???????

Most counterfeit goods purchased in Chinatown are directly from sweatshops and not even that- not worth it. Anyone with half a brain can tell the purse you paid 30 dollars for is not the purse that they paid 900 dollars for.

When I was there they were selling watches, purses, and DVDS. The DVDs barely work, the purses fall apart, and the watches will work until you get one block up. The NYC souvenir stuff you see is actually cheaper in the tourist shops than on Canal Street.

Now- if you really want ChinaTown without the harassment and overpriced items head to Pell St or Doyer. Thats a cool place!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,975 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: canal street???????

If you buy counterfeit goods you are helping encourage an illegal enterprise. You cheap purse, is the product of sweatshops! There is currently a city council person who is looking to make the BUYER of such goods subject to arrest!!

Personally, as a New Yorker--I hope it IS made into a law!

Besides, why would you come to NYC and help people break the law. Do you want tourists to come to your hometown and do the same?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: canal street???????

Junk fakes are easily spotted. Don't be embarassed by buying and using one.

Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: canal street???????

Now I have a question on fake stuff. My daughter and I bought a purse that looks like coach Has a "coach like" emblem on it. We know it was fake but it was on the shelf. I did not have to go down a back ally or anything like that. When you say don't buy counterfeit goods, you mean got down a back ally and get a purse "sold as real" not buying a "look-a-like" right?

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: canal street???????

No. It means if it screams counterfeit let your conscience be your guide. No value judgements in an uncertain world. Humor is badly under estimated.