We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boroughs, Neighborhoods and Suburbs

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Boroughs, Neighborhoods and Suburbs

I have heard many a tourist refer to my neighborhood as a suburb. This not anything that a New Yorker would say. Here is how we break things down in NYC.

First, there is the City as a whole. It is broken down into five BOROUGHS. This is also often spelled boro. Manhattan is but one of the five boros. The others are Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx and Staten Island. The Bronx is the only boro on the mainland. Staten Island and Manhattan are islands and Brooklyn and Queens are the westernmost two counties of Long Island [the others being Nassau and Suffolk]. In fact, Marble Hill is on the mainland of the Bronx - but in a geographical quirk is part of the boro of Manhattan.

The Boroughs are broken up into NEIGHBORHOODS. We are quite proud of our neighborhoods, and there are lots of differences between them. I live in Park Slope, my neighborhood is surrounded by Sunset Park, Gowanus, Windsor Terrace and Prospect Heights. When a NYer asks me where I live, I would normally say Park Slope, not Brooklyn. When I go to a different neighborhood, like Bushwick, I often feel like a tourist - even in my own boro.

Although many of our neighborhoods in Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and the Bronx are green and leafy, and CIty Island in the Bronx just feels like a New England fishing village - NOBODY ever calls them suburbs. SUBURBS are places in Westchester County [New Rochelle, White Plains, Mamaroneck], Long Island [Great Neck, Rockville Centre and Dix Hills], New Jersey [Paramus, Saddle River and Metuchen] and Connecticut [ Stamford, Darien and Cos Cob].

Boroughs, neighborhoods and suburbs. Got it?

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,046 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boroughs, Neighborhoods and Suburbs

Yes, and let me add one thing.

Australian "suburb" = American "neighborhood."

American "suburb" = Australian "outer suburb."

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boroughs, Neighborhoods and Suburbs

And don't forget that all five boroughs are New York City. You can't get from JFK to NYC- you're already there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
806 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boroughs, Neighborhoods and Suburbs

Many people in the boroughs call Manhattan "the city".

Edited: 16 May 2011, 15:37
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boroughs, Neighborhoods and Suburbs

And many do not, but all five boroughs are New York City, regardless.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,751 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boroughs, Neighborhoods and Suburbs

Many people in the boros resent when others think of only Manhattan as "the city' --As a Queens resident I consider myself just as much a resident of "the city" as someone who lives in Manhattan. ( and I pay taxes to prove it)

On the E train last week, interacting with some tourists they were shocked to realize that they had landed ( JFK) in Queens and the subway they were on was going through Queens!! ( LGA, btw is also in Queens)

Edited: 16 May 2011, 16:09
White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
879 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boroughs, Neighborhoods and Suburbs

Riverdale is The Bronx and not independent from The Bronx as much as many wish it was.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boroughs, Neighborhoods and Suburbs

Rach, you make that statement about what "many people in the boroughs say" as if Manhattan weren't also just another "borough" -- which of course it is. The city is not made up of "Manhattan, plus the four boroughs"; it is made up of *five* boroughs, of which Manhattan is the smallest borough in area, and the third borough in population.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
806 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boroughs, Neighborhoods and Suburbs

greenwhiteblue--I know that. But most people I've ever known in the boroughs, including my family, refer to Manhattan as the city. Of course we all know we're from the city; but it's just easier to say "the city" instead of Manhattan, I guess.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boroughs, Neighborhoods and Suburbs

I normally think of myself as a Brooklynite. I am one of those who do not want to give credence to the "Mistake of 98." It was in 1898 that the boros merged to become the City of New York. Indeed, prior to 1898 Brooklyn itself was separate towns with self government. Towns like Flatbush, New Utrecht and Gravesend. In fact, Williamsburgh [with the H] was its own independent city rivaling both NY and Brooklyn.

When we go into Manhattan, we do normally say that we are going to "The City."

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
806 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boroughs, Neighborhoods and Suburbs

This reminds me of a story--I was recently tutoring a 4th grade girl in Glendale, Queens. We were discussing cities, and she said "I don't live in NYC. You don't see skyscrapers around here" lol. I had to explain to her how NYC isn't just Manhattan.

Edited: 16 May 2011, 18:03