We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central Park hotel/club level and pool?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Central Park hotel/club level and pool?

Looking to find hotel for our July visit. As we are traveling with 2 boys, 9 and 12, really need the convience of a Club Lounge. I looked at Ritz Carlton, but no pool. Like the look of Mandarin, pool but no Club Lounge. I am not really nterested in an apartment type hotel. Must be Central Park as visiting family that lives in that area.

Ideas? Suggestions?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,993 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Central Park hotel/club level and pool?

There are very few hotel pools in NYC. The Parker Meridien is near the south end of Central Park and has a rooftop enclosed pool. Not sure about club lounge. Trump International is a great option with pool at Columbus Circle.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Central Park hotel/club level and pool?

I will also point out that the subway makes it really easy to get around, so you don't necessarily need to stay in a hotel close to your family.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,612 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Central Park hotel/club level and pool?

And just so you know, there is no "Central Park area." Being near Central Park can mean anywhere from river to river, and from midtown to Harlem. Since getting from the east to west sides is so difficult, it would be useful to know which side of Central Park your family lives on. No point in staying at a hotel at Columbus Circle if your family lives on Madison Ave and 95th Street.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Central Park hotel/club level and pool?

Family at Columbus and 68th. We have stayed in other parts of the city before but do not like always having to travel back to this area. So looking to stay Columbus Circle/Central Park this time.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,612 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Central Park hotel/club level and pool?

You mean Columbus Circle/Upper West Side. As I said, there is no "Central Park area."

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Central Park hotel/club level and pool?

Thank you so much for your true NY attitude.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Central Park hotel/club level and pool?

Greetings from Crowne Plaza Times Square.

In the Lincoln Center area, right near Columbus and 68th, is the Empire Hotel. It has a pool (limited access... see website for details), but no Lounge. The Concierge lounge is relatively rare in NYC, as it is very expensive to run. Pools, obviously, require a lot of space, which is at a premium in NYC; hence so few pools.

I think you might need to decide what's most important to you. Closest with pool is The Empire; closest with a Concierge lounge is Ritz Carlton Central Park South. If you're trying to avoid too many subway or taxi trips, the Empire might be a better bet given your requirements.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,993 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Central Park hotel/club level and pool?

Trump International would be my pick.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Central Park hotel/club level and pool?

Thank you so much for all the ideas. I have booked the Ritz Carlton Central Park South.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Central Park hotel/club level and pool?

Is the absence of a Club Lounge the only reason you ruled out Trump International & its pool? Trump International is freshly renovated & offers more in terms of electronic amenities, e.g., 55" TVs, surround sound speakers, iPod dock radios.

Not sure if you realize that, apart from breakfast, the Club Lounges at the Ritz Carltons here in NYC serve very light fare, so you & your boys can't have much of a true lunch (assuming you're willing to interrupt your day to go back to the hotel) or dinner there. Given the hefty premium that the Ritz Carlton Central Park charges for Club Lounge rooms/suites & the fact that, unlike some Ritz Carltons in other locales, there are plenty of dining options outside the door, it's a poor value imo -- especially since your sons won't be taking advantage of the free, alcoholic beverages in the Club Lounge.