We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do Not Rent from David Sadek

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Do Not Rent from David Sadek

I found a rental property in Manhattan NY and the owner/renter's name was David Sadek. He was unprofessional, disorganized, and most of all, dishonest.

I rented an apartment through him and everything had to be communicated via Email or through his assistant, Stephanie, which was a disaster. I paid full rent in advance with additional $500 for damage deposit. I was instructed to contact Stephanie once I got to NYC and I was supposed to meet her. It was difficult getting a hold of her. When I finally did, she said she unexpectedly went out of town and was unable to meet me. She said she left instructions with the doorman to let me in when I arrive at the apartment. If I had never called her, I wouldn't have known all of this. Shouldn't she be the one calling me to tell me this???? I started to panic and thought it was a scam so scrambled onto the internet to search for the doorman's phone number online. I finally got a phone number and called the doorman my self and confirmed that I can check in when I arrive.

Now, for the worse part..... According to the contract, I should get my $500 damage deposit within 14 days of checkout. Well, I never did. I kept emailing David Sadek but he never responded. I called Stephanie but she wouldn't pick up. It's gotten to the point where it sounded like she turned off her phone because the calls just went straight to her voice mail. There were no damages to the apartment... even if he thought there was an issue, at least have the courtesy to reply to my email !! This guy's email domain is firstfi.com. I thought he was someone important from First Financial Equities but this is not true.

After 1+ month of trying to get my refund, I decided to open a dispute with him via PayPal. One week later, PayPal notified me that he agreed to refund my deposit. However, it takes up to 5 days to appear on my account so we shall see....

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do Not Rent from David Sadek

Ya don't say...

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do Not Rent from David Sadek

You can cut three words from your subject line. Why not go with a simple DO NOT RENT? Far more effective and accurate.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
504 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do Not Rent from David Sadek

Really? Renting an illegal apartment turned out to be a scam? Who would have guessed...

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do Not Rent from David Sadek

You should look at the top questions about NYC and you will find that vacation rentals less than a month are not a good idea or legal except in very narrow circumstances. If you get your deposit back please remember in future not to get a vacation rental in NY.

Edited: 27 May 2011, 00:05
NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do Not Rent from David Sadek

I am sorry you had this experience.

Apartment rentals (for less than 30 days, I think) are illegal in New York City and many peeps on this board feels that peeps who live outside of New York City should know this (for some reason) even though short-term rental apartments are common elsewhere.

I am glad you are getting your money back.

Edited: 27 May 2011, 00:06
6. Re: Do Not Rent from David Sadek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 May 2011, 00:53
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do Not Rent from David Sadek

"I thought he was someone important from First Financial Equities but this is not true."

Is DS claiming that someone hacked his e-mail account so as to impersonate him in the correspondence with you? He is the CEO of First Financial Equities:

http://firstfi.com/aboutus.html

njrereport.com/index.php/…

NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do Not Rent from David Sadek

Poppa

Why would you say that?

What a really strange thing to say.

It seems a very vicious thing to say. And, for no reason, whatsoever.

Oh well

I am sure you have your reasons.

Right?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do Not Rent from David Sadek

Seriously people? Do you guys not have anything better to do than to come here and talk smack? The intent of this post is to warn travelers who prefer to rent. I didn't know it was illegal. I rent vacation rentals.all the time and this is the first time I ran into a problem.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do Not Rent from David Sadek

Thank you :)

Edited: 27 May 2011, 01:10