We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

regular or 3D or Imax? NY movie buffs

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
313 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
regular or 3D or Imax? NY movie buffs

We are looking for some entertainment for one of our 4 evenings in NY. As an alternative to our choosy tastes where we watch movies at home with the control of vision, sound (and no inconsiderate noisy popcorn eating talking customers)we thought of visiting the cinema once more.

Of course we could just go to a recently released film ie choosing by title. We have never seen 3D or Imax style so was thinking this could be something to remember. Would it be worth it just for the experience.

Pirates 4 reviews are not that enthusiastic over here in the UK but does seeing it enhanced make it worthwhile.

We are staying at W51st and 7th Avenue 22nd to 27th June. Believe there is a Loews cinema not far away which is listed on the Imax site- is this the one to go to.

Other research suggests the Ziegfield cinema at 6th ave is a nice

experience- (of course only if the film is promising)?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,169 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,053 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,223 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: regular or 3D or Imax? NY movie buffs

I'd pick the movie first. A bad movie is just as bad in 3d. I have no idea what will be playing then, do you?

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,555 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: regular or 3D or Imax? NY movie buffs

If nothing good at the IMAX, I'd do either Regal or AMC both on 42nd between 8/7

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: regular or 3D or Imax? NY movie buffs

If you haven't seen an IMAX (or Omnimax) film, go see one no matter what's playing. You'll probably enjoy it.

The last IMAX film I saw was Arabia. The architecture of Saudi Arabia projected onto a 5-story screen was something to see.

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
313 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: regular or 3D or Imax? NY movie buffs

Thanks for those replies folks

5. Re: regular or 3D or Imax? NY movie buffs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2012, 05:21