We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap handbags in New York

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
88 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap handbags in New York

We're heading to NY for the weekend, and my friend from Germany would like to find a good quality, stylish, not necessarily name-brand handbag, cheap. We'll be in Manhattan the whole time. Any ideas?

Canada
Level Contributor
104 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap handbags in New York

TJ Maxx (on 6th Ave) has brands like Anne Klein and Nine West, which are middle-of-the-road brands. Good quality, though, and you can usually score a nice one for $30-$40. You should also be able to find somsething similar at Filene's a short walk away at Union Square. Nordstrom Rack is also nearby, and while they're great for clothes, i find they really suck for purses. And while I'm the last person to recommend Century 21, I find that shoes and purses are the only thing they're really good for.

If you're open to low-quality, I'm quite partial to the street vendors. Not the $10 guys, but the $25 guys selling no-name plain purses. I just bought a green cross-body purse last weekend that's made to look and feel like plush, smooth-as-butter leather. No idea what kind of materials they used, but you'd swear it was real. Looks like a million bucks. Granted, I know from experience that within a few months, the lining will start to rip apart. (But I get bored with bags fast, so that kind of lifespan works for me.)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap handbags in New York

Agree with fruchick on both scores. In addition to TJ Maxx, Loehmann's & Century 21 also have good handbags at discount prices. For bags on the street, I think the guy at 3rd ave. & ~ 70th st. usually has nice ones and sometimes across from Bloomingdales on Lexington & 60th st.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
877 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap handbags in New York

Whatever you decide do, do not buy from the streets. Most are bootleg and the City of New York Police Department are enforcing tougher law targeting buyers.

Canada
Level Contributor
104 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap handbags in New York

ProArtWork, please read carefully before replying. Nobody is talking about counterfeit bags here. I clearly specified "no-name plain purses". There is absolutely nothing illegal about the bags sold by guys with carts on the street. You saying that there is just negates the perfectly good advice given to the OP.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,643 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap handbags in New York

you can get vintage handbags at brooklyn flea. i bought one in almost un-used condition, well known american brand, with registration number showing it was made in 1978. the same pattern is still made today, but retails at ten times what i paid. the quality and design is similar to english 'mulberry' bags. you have to search for those in best condition.

brooklyn flea is well worth a visit if you are there on a weekend.

pam

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
877 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap handbags in New York

Fruchick,

I was not replying to you nor did I read your post. There is no need to be defensive. My reply is my opinion and should be respected. My opinion will remain the same to not buy from the street since you will not know what you will be getting. There is no guarantee the vendor you are buying from will be there the following day if you need to return the bag for whatever reason. Buy from a store for peace of mind.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,101 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap handbags in New York

I always buy a purse in DSW in Union Square because they have a much larger selection then they do here. It's in the same building as Filene's Basement, just go up the escalator and get off at the second level. Filene's is on the third level.

8. Re: Cheap handbags in New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2012, 05:32