We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Needed Again--Several Topics

Knoxville,TN
Level Contributor
72 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Help Needed Again--Several Topics

My wife and I have the chance to come back (6th visit) for a few days before we cruise out of Brooklyn. This site has always been a great source of info to us in the past. I'll try to be specific in my questions and realize some of the things we want to do may not be possible but here goes.

My wife wants to see The Book of Mormon. Only need one ticket as I will go to a bar. Any chance for a ticket without using a broker such as Stub Hub? If not any other suggestions for her. Her favorite show she has seen is Next To Normal followed by Spring Awakening

While my wife is at the show I need a sports bar. Suggestions? What happened to ESPN Zone?

Tickets to a TV show taping? Letterman, Fallon even Rachel Ray etc. I know standy-by is the only chance. Is there a show that is easier to get in to? Secrets or tricks?

WTC area. I know it is a big construction site but we always go to in our way pay our respects. The Chapel across the street has an energy to it I have never felt before. I know there are controversial things in the area and people try to prosper from them. We like to see and learn what we can without disrespect to those that lost their lives and to the people that live in NYC. What are the do's and dont's?

Opinion on Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and the High Line.

We love Grimaldi's pizza and find it better than John's in Midtown. Is the one on Bleeker better?

For Italian food 45 days ago I had picked Basso56. Now it's rated #1. Is it that good. Other thoughts that look good are Rocco and Via Della Pace.

Thanks in advance for your responses. Hope there are many.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
132 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,098 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,372 reviews
from US$36.00*
Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,155 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Needed Again--Several Topics

I haven't been to the John's in TS. However, we really like the one on Bleecker Street.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Needed Again--Several Topics

Basso56 was very good when we ate there but I doubt seriously if it is in the top ten. TA restaurant ratings are not a good measure of "the best" IMHO.

new york
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Needed Again--Several Topics

I prefer John's on Bleecker. I thought that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Annex had closed.

When is the visit? Single tickets are still available for some performances of Book of Mormon. Have you checked www.telecharge.com for tickets? If there is nothing on telecharge then you can keep checking in case house seats get released, try the cancellation line or try stubhub. It sounds like she and I have similar tastes in musicals. I saw it last night and thought it was very funny (although it can't compare to next to normal imo).

Edited: 31 May 2011, 04:38
new york
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Needed Again--Several Topics

There also is a lottery she could enter 2.5 hours before the show - if she is a lucky person she might win. If I really wanted to see a show, however, I wouldn't want to leave it to chance - I also don't have good luck gambling.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
504 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Needed Again--Several Topics

How long do you have before you come? You can continue to check for tickets up until about 10 days beforehand, at which point you'll want to either buy from StubHub or choose another show - maybe Mamma Mia or How to Succeed? Book of Mormon has the best reviews of the three, though.

ESPN Zone closed a while ago. If you want to stay near the theaters, there are quite a few pubs that will have games on - Langan's and Pig & Whistle are both on 47th, I've enjoyed both, and I'm sure you'll get a few more suggestions...

You will have to be in line for hours in order to get standby tickets to any show. Only you can decide whether this is worth what will equate to close to half a day of your time, but I'd say no.

Not sure what else there is to do around WTC besides St. Paul's, really. It's just an empty lot. Do be a decent person, which you certainly seem to be, and that's all.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,323 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Needed Again--Several Topics

I don't get why she wants to see Book of M. given her other favorites. She should see War Horse.

Try a tour with the Tribute Center.

http://www.tributewtc.org/index.php

What kind of Italian do you want? (casual red sauce, upscale, northern, pizza???)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1302326…

People have reported having some luck getting Letterman tickets same day by going in person. Look on their website for instructions.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k190759-…

London
Level Contributor
156 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Needed Again--Several Topics

I would give a big thumbs up to the Highline, I really enjoyed the design, plants and views. I'm a fan of the area too for shops/restaurants

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
106 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Needed Again--Several Topics

I went to the Highline a couple of years ago during the summer. It was just getting dark and was so pretty. People of all ages, wandering, sitting and chatting etc. Lovely plantings and lighting. Am visiting with my daughter in a couple of weeks. She finished a Geography degree here in UK a few months ago and the Highline is required viewing as it was referred to during her course.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Needed Again--Several Topics

I agree re: "Book of Mormon." I have not see it, but friends of mine say it is INDESCRIBABLY OFFENSIVE AND HILARIOUS. They said they couldn't believe they were laughing at such "blasphemy." (At this rate, I'll probably get to see it in 3 years when Tony Danza and Paris Hilton are the leads.)

I personally LOVED "Next to Normal," but Book of Mormon does not seem to be similar! But, if your wife has a good sense of humor, perhaps she will love it!

If she likes serious topics more, perhaps "The People in the Picture" would be a better match?

"What happened to ESPN Zone?" - It closed. ;o)

There are some decent bars in the area to wile away the time, if you don't have other plans. How about seeing a comedy show or something different while your wife is at her show?

"Tickets to a TV show taping?" - There are countless previous threads on this topic. Try searching for "Letterman tickets" etc. in the forum search box. There's no "secret" as I understand it.

"WTC area....We like to see and learn what we can without disrespect to those that lost their lives and to the people that live in NYC. What are the do's and dont's?"

Thanks for asking this.

Here is my self-guided tour of the lower Manhattan area. Lots of historical and intersting things to see:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c62611/New-Yor…

I work nearby and there are so many huge throngs of tourists behaving in regular tourist ways (i.e. having snacks, taking pictures, shopping at Century 21) that it's sometimes surprising to see, like I did last week, a couple tightly hugging each other, weeping uncontrollably.

Here are a few previous threads on the topic of WTC etiquette:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2114876… -2_questions-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3930478… World_Trade_Centre-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4086711… World_Trade_Center_site_and_Street_Vendors-

"Opinion on Rock & Roll Hall of Fame " - It has also closed.

"Highline" - as others have said, it's great!

Have fun!

Knoxville,TN
Level Contributor
72 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Needed Again--Several Topics

Thanks to all that replied. Your input is greatly appreciated. Regarding the Italian food follow up. I'm looking for more Northern Italian cuisine. Not a fan of red sauce dishes except pizza. Thanks again to all responders!!