We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is the Subway????

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
409 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
How safe is the Subway????

We need to be at JFK Airport for about 5am to catch a flight to Buffalo then returning to NY around 9PM and have been looking at how to get there. It looks as though we can use the Subway but in a travel guide that I have got it mentions that the Subway isn't that safe(in their opinion) to use after 11pm. I must admit I would be a bit dubious using the Tube in London at that time of the morning!! We are 2 adults in our early 50's.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Jane

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,088 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe is the Subway????

It's safe. Actually it's unusually safe in the 11PM-12AM hour because there are a lot of third-shift workers coming either on or off shift and commuting. City that never sleeps, you know.

The only thing you have to watch out for is that some of the trains get very infrequent - every 20 minutes - after 11 PM. But at 9:30 PM they should still be every 10 minutes or less.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,410 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe is the Subway????

We were on the subway at 1 am last summer and it was totally packed standing room only! New York is truly the city that never sleeps.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe is the Subway????

Do a search on this forum about subway safety..There are about a million threads about thsi same issue

P.S Your travel guide is wrong..:)

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe is the Subway????

Four (4) million people use the subway in NYC every day and NIGHT - your guide book is WRONG - it one of the safest modes of transport in the country or even world.

So, ditch the book and get your Metro-Card and enjoy the ride.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
399 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How safe is the Subway????

Don't believe the guidebook. We always take the subway in NYC and have never felt threatened or scared.

Lots of people in and around the stops.

Jodi ,

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How safe is the Subway????

Your travel guide was obviously written by an ignorant idiot who doesn't have the first clue regarding what he is nattering about; if that is the quality of advice it gives, you would do well to throw it away.

On the average weekday, there are more than 5 million riders taking the subway. On the average weekday, there are between five and six felonies on the entire subway system. Three or four of the felonies will be grand larcenies (including the theft of anything of any value from the person; this means all pickpockets are grand larcenies.) One or two of the felonies will be robberies. The vast majority of the crimes will involve teenagers picking on other teenagers as they are going home from school; when two kids forcibly take another kid's i-pod because he goes to a different school, or flirted with someone else's girlfriend, that counts as a robbery. The highest crime hours on the subway are what they have always been: 3pm to 8pm, because that is when kids go home from school.

If you are not a teenager going home from high school, your chances of being a robbery victim are about one in ten million.

Edited: 01 June 2011, 01:50
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,106 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How safe is the Subway????

Time: Last night around 10PM

Character: Me, single middle aged women

Action: 1. Take a bus from W 86 Street to 7th and 53 Street 2. Enter the metro card only entrance of the subway and walk alone through a 1 block tunnel. 3. Ride a crowded E train to Queens ( same train, btw that goes to the Airtrain) The train was crowded and some people had to stand. Lots of people with luggage 4. Stand waiting for bus to my home. It was now 10:30 and when the bus finally came it was packed beyond capacity.

Message: Evening and I was alone, perfectly safe , glad I was one of the lucky ones who got a seat on the subway.

Bottom line: The subway is nothing to be scared of. As GWB said, the author of the book doesn't know what he or she is talking about.

nyc
Level Contributor
319 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How safe is the Subway????

I agree with the other posters that the subway is generally safe, but it is not clear to me what route you are planning to get to JFK by 5 am. Without knowing that, I would feel irresponsible suggesting that it is automatically OK.

Edited: 01 June 2011, 02:31
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How safe is the Subway????

Personally, I would take a taxi to get to the airport for a 5 AM flight.

There will be no traffic, and the subways at 3 AM run less frequently (and, IMHO, 3-5 AM is a bit of a dead time on the subway.)

Edited: 01 June 2011, 15:32
10. Re: How safe is the Subway????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 14:17