We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yellow cabs in new york

Skipton
2 posts
Save Topic
yellow cabs in new york

we are a family of 5 travelling to New York in August. Can we all get in a yellow cab? If not, what is the best way of getting around?

1. Re: yellow cabs in new york

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 June 2011, 17:09
New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,122 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: yellow cabs in new york

Jenn,

I hope this helps.

WALKING- What others said on your subsequent post was true, walking is a great way to see New York. If I was a visitor - I would walk through all the surrounding nieghborhoods. I would only take the SUBWAY to maybe Battery Park to see the Statue of Liberty (SOL) early in the morning and then walk around all the downtown nieghborhoods in the afternoon, and maybe even walk through the nieghbor hoods back to midtown (if that is where you are staying). If you haven't reserved CROWN tickets for SOL, you should do so asap (they sell out) and get CROWN tix from Battery Park as early in the morning as possible (SOL LINK)-

statuecruises.com/ferry-service/welcome.aspx

also if you do Empire State Building (ESB)do it the same way go early in the morning (@ 7:45 am)with your pre paid tix in hand (and you will decrease your wait by over half) ESB LINK-

www.esbnyc.com/observatory_visitors_tips.asp

Here is a list of nieghborhoods to help you plan your days (NIEGHBORHOOD LINK)-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23219-Manhatta…

and an e-z list of SITES-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23092-Most_Com…

CABS-

Some cabs do have enough seats, but MANY do not.

If you fly into JFK or LGA- I, (hmm) WOULD!, take a cab.

(It will cost you almost as much money for public transport and you will have to drag a lot of Luggage up and down the steps) and they have a slew of cabs waiting for fares so finding a 5 seater won't be that difficult there.

If you fly into EWR take the airtran to NY Penn Station (you have to transfer once-but it is pretty easy and cabs from NEwark are very expensive and most times pretty awful). If your hotel is farther then 5 or so blocks from Penn Station then you can try to get a cab at Penn Station (getting one that holds five maybe difficult, and if it doesn't happen you can take two seperate cabs).

Going back to the airport, at the end of your visit, I would do a car service, because they will let you (or your hotel) know when they are downstairs (you won't want to wait 20mins for a 5 seater cab at that time) CAR SERVICE LINK-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23339-Popular_…

If you have more than a few days and want a long subway trip you can also take the Q train to Coney Island (an hour eachway) other wise it is good to just plan out good walking tours on your own (i.e "we want to get to Central Park, so we can see Times Square, Rock Center, Radio City, Carnigie Hall, and Columbus Circle along the way, and after we will see the Met or Lincoln Center."- or "I want to see the U.N. so let's see Bryant Park, the Public Library, and Grand Central Station along the way").

Have fun!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: yellow cabs in new york

I have lived in Brooklyn and worked in Manhattan for many years. Yet, other than to and and from the airport, I cannot remember the last time that I took a cab. The simple fact is that cabs are quite expensive, and not as efficient as the subway. Plus, it would be difficult to squeeze you all in.

Do what NYers do. Get a MetroCard and ride the subway. When you get to the station nearest your destination, get out and walk.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
86 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: yellow cabs in new york

There are some mini-van style cabs which will take 5 but not the regular cabs...We did it two years ago; its just a matter of waiting around though since there are not as many as the regular sized ones.

Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: yellow cabs in new york

I was in NYC for 2 days in April this year. I went places mainly by subway and walking, didnt take the yellow cab at all! I enjoyed the vibrant city very much. I can now truly say "I love NY"! I also took the bus go around and the city in a fixed route. It allows one to hop and drop at will at various stops along the route. The ticket is valid for 24 hours. It cost a bit but it gives you a lot of flexibility to go places. I see many things by taking the bus trip too. Seeing the city by yellow cab is just not practical in my view. JenniferSkipt, wish you and your family a good time in NYC!

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: yellow cabs in new york

We are also a family of five and it is not easy to find a the minivan cabs when you need them! And forget about it if it happens to be raining or rush hour. Also we have found that occasionally, when we thought we were lucky enough to get the larger cab, the last row of seats had been taken out, so there was no benefit at all!

Take the subway most places. If you are lucky enough to get a larger cab, fine, but otherwise be prepared to split into two cabs, with each adult knowing the destination and cross streets.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: yellow cabs in new york

Well, there is the other side. I take cabs a lot. They are convenient, esp. for places not directy near a subway station. The price to me is often worth it. If traffic is not too much (depends on time of day) they alos may be quicker door-to-door. Also, if you have 5 people, that is 5X the regular subway fare (unless you have a pass). But, if you are paying directly the fare is $2.25 but 5 is $11.25. OK, you will add tip to cb fare, but for short trip, cab for 5 (if you find one) is less expensive than subway.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: yellow cabs in new york

Okay, I just looked at a photo we recently took of the street in NYC from our upper floor hotel window...

There are always lots of cabs...

There were TEN on the one street corner at that time.

However, only ONE of the ten appears to be a mini-van and not a regular sedan.

Hope this helps...

We are smaller family...

We took taxi's...

Yes, it cost us more.

But we were always delivered very, very quickly and easily directly from point A to point B.

And, as just mentioned above, with a party of five, the savings would not be considerable in most cases.

And, we didn't have to spend a lot of time and effort doing extra walking, navigating the subway system, etc...

There are two sides to this.

PS: With five people and luggage... to get into the city from the airport.... I would highly recommend Dial 7!

Edited: 03 June 2011, 03:25
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,969 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: yellow cabs in new york

You cannot tell from the window of a hotel room how many of those cabs are available, as opposed to occupied or off duty. It is often impossible to get a cab between 4 and 5PM, and depending on traffic the subway can easily be faster. Cabs definitely have their time and place, and I use them (especially when getting to the far east or west sides of the island) but when you have to add in either the time of waiting for an empty minivan cab on the street, or the expense of splitting into two cabs, the subway will almost always make more sense for a family of five once inside the city. (It's easier to get a minivan cab at the airports.)

new york city
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: yellow cabs in new york

nyc cabs are not expensive. their rates are the lowest in the nation. the minivan that collects you at the airport is illegal. the writer neglects to mention that taxis go off duty at 5pm and that is why you can not find one after 4. mayor bloomberg will not letter us stagger the shift hours.