We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seeing the sights

devon
Level Contributor
67 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
seeing the sights

Hi there are 5 of us (all female) travelling to New york in November we want to do "the sights" is there anyone who can reccomend a bus tour either hop on or a trip that will help us see what we can in 4 days as well as a bit of shopping. (probably more than a bit) We have booked the Hotel Pennsylvania as it looked to be central (what ever that means when NY is HUGE) We don't plan on spending a lot of time in the hotel.

Thanks for anyone who replys

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seeing the sights

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Hotel Pennsylvania has long been known as one of the worst , if not THE worst, hotel in NYC...a filthy pig sty not fit for humans. It is in the process of being torn down as I write. You can search this forum for discussions about it.

I urge all visitors to do their homework, ask here, get advice and suggestions from the locals about hotels.

Hope everything works out for your trip. The good thing is you have some time to re-plan things.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
475 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seeing the sights

OMG Please cancel the Pennsylvania. It's a complete dump. It's due for demolition soon and it's falling into disrepair. If you post your exact dates and budget the experts can help you find somewhere better. Just search on here and look for reviews. No one would recommend that hotel at all.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: seeing the sights

Here's the last three reviews for the Hotel Pennsylvania ;

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d214197-…

"needs changes ASAP"

"I would not stay here again."

"I felt so gross the entire time. "

…flickr.com/3146/2643668186_00b56f476f.jpg

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: seeing the sights

Cancel the Hotel if you can. Mention your dates and your budget and how you want to fit in 5 people and you will get a lot of help. I assume you mean NYC when you say New York and there is a hop on and Hop OFF bus if that is what you are interested in. If you use this make sure to go through the entire circuit at one go and later on use Public Transport to visit specific places. Book tickets for the Statue of Liberty as soon as you can. Please do not shoot the messenger. Pennsylvania Hotel is in its death throws as we speak.

devon
Level Contributor
67 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: seeing the sights

Thanks for the advice about the hotel I will speak to the company we have booked with.

devon
Level Contributor
67 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: seeing the sights

The agent rang the hotel and they say it is not being demolished so we are none the wiser. I did look at the reviews and it said it was a bit tired but in a great location for sight seeing so watch this space i suppose

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
475 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: seeing the sights

Don't say you weren't warned.

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
3,813 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: seeing the sights

A "bit tired" doesn't begin to describe that hotel. Don't go there.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: seeing the sights

It IS gonna be demolished

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: seeing the sights

**** The agent rang the hotel and they say it is not being demolished so we are none the wiser ****

"None the wiser" ..... well that's a bt of an understatement.

dnainfo.com/20100714/manhattan/hotel-pennsyl…

…blogspot.com/2010/07/why-demolish-hotel-pen…

http://nyc-architecture.com/?p=460

http://ny.curbed.com/tags/hotel-pennsylvania

Edited: 05 June 2011, 15:33